Question concerning DevonThink Search with Houdahspot: no groups?

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I’ve been reading through this thread. Is the HoudahSpot template mentioned here the template named DEVONthink in the HoudahSpot app? I have HoudahSpot version 6.1.5, and the DEVONthink template is shown in the menu for HoudahSpot, but I can’t figure out how to make it work. Doesn’t it provide a means for searching within my open DEVONthink database(s)? I tried typing in LSC in the search box, because I can see a document with the name beginning with LSC in my DEVONthink inbox, but HoudahSpot tells me it can’t find such a file.

You have to allow spotlight to index the DEVONthink 3 files. Also make sure all your permissions are set.

Thanks. I had done all that, but noticed when calling up the template to search that the Content Type was automatically set to com.devon-technologies.metadata.thinkpro. If I delete that and leave Content Type blank, HoudahSpot found all the documents in DEVONthink meeting my criteria.

1 Like

Ok I just installed the HoudahSpot Search tool and searched for a partial filename I knew would get some hits. When I chose to “Open in DT3” I received the message that the database was no longer available. I found the issue, the database had indeed been renamed, AFTER I had converted it from an internal db (stored in DevonThink) to an external (Finder-based) db and indexed it, and renamed it. This was so I could keep hierarchical integrity as well as find stuff in external tools such as HoudahSpot (!).

Turns out the only files I found in the HoudahSpot search were not easily findable, and there’s no apparent remedy. The files are stored in the non-specific metadata location:

/Users//Library/Metadata/com.devon-technologies.think3/D99483C0-[more numbers]-C0509C3E0AC0.dt3

One of these is an orphaned file (a .skim document automatically created when using Skim to annotate a pdf - they always get orphaned - another reason I went to an indexed, file-based DB).

Is it safe to remove these files in the finder? Or can I find these “orphans” in DevonThink and get rid of them?

As far as I can tell, since they’re metadata associated with the old (pre-conversion) DB, they serve no useful purpose.

On another note, the search template works great for Devon-internal databases!

Thanks!

Actually, that’s a very specific location.

Renaming a database doesn’t change its UUID.
You could try rebuilding the Spotlight index for that database in DEVONthink’s File > Database Properties.

1 Like