question regarding PDF files

Hi,

Two quick questions:

1. is there a way for me to put tabs in my PDF files, so that I can jump back to a certain page when I open the file again under DevonThink Pro?

2. After I have imported several PDF files, I tend to jump back and forth between them. However, it seems that Devonthink Pro always forgets the page of the previous PDF file after I jump to a new one. Is there a way for DevonThink to remember what page I was on after I jump to a new file?

[1] No – but with improvements in Apple’s PDFKit, that may become possible in the future.

[2] Yes, if you open the PDF files in their own document windows by double-clicking on the name in the view window, e.g., in the Vertical Split view. Then you can use File > Window or – my preference – Exposé to switch windows. That way, the scrolling position in the PDF isn’t lost.

“[2] Yes, if you open the PDF files in their own document windows by double-clicking on the name in the view window, e.g., in the Vertical Split view. Then you can use File > Window or – my preference – Exposé to switch windows. That way, the scrolling position in the PDF isn’t lost.”

Thanks for the reponse - but this solution will leave me with a bunch of windows on my screen. I want something similar to tabbed browsing.

Tabbed browsers are nice, but tabbing isn’t available in most Mac programs, where one must get used to closing windows that are no longer needed. And of course as a practical matter, one must also delete no longer needed tabs in a browser application as well. Else the Tabs bar begins to stretch out to infinity and memory requirements grow large. :slight_smile:

There’s WindowShade, but that’s a haxie, some users have reported that it causes instability, and we don’t generally recommend haxies.

As PDFKit doesn’t support tabbed views of PDFs, the approach I recommended is the best way I know to avoid losing scrolling position in moving about among documents.

A future release will remember the position.