Questions about Sheets

Encouraged by others on this forum, I am giving beta 2 a try. But I am having trouble with “sheets”. Here are some questions:

1. Is there a way to format the fields so they can accepts large amounts of text? For instance, I often like to create qualitative databases that include several paragraph comments on – for instance – a country’s participation in a particular committee at the World Trade Organization. Right now, I can’t find a way to enter such data and then view it with ease in Sheets. For instance, I can’t find a “wrap text” option.

2. What is the status of a Records or Form View? In the current forums there are a couple different threads with different information about the status of the record view.
    One thread suggests that records may be gone forever? If so that is a HUGE disappointment and MIGHT be a reason for me to give up on version 2, or find out if there is a way to simultaneously run version 1.x and 2.x.
    A second thread suggests that a new form view will be implemented but does not want to promise a timetable or provide a description.

3. Can I run both version 1.x and 2.x on the same machine in a stable manner if I purchase the upgrade? This might at least allow me to do the implementation of sheets that I prefer until it is corrected ( :slight_smile: ) in 2.x

Thanks!

re #3: I just found Bill’s earlier remarks about running both versions. Is that still the easiest implementation?
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=7117

Yes. It’s not all that simple, and if you are using DT Pro Office 1.x and 2.0 versions, you will need to install Add-ons after switching, to properly handle the different OCR software.

Records are gone but a form view will be added to a 2.x release.

And can I expect that a “form view” is a “read only” version of a “record view”?

Form views will be just a different representation of sheets and of course editable.

I’m bumping this because I realized that my first question, about placing large amounts of text in sheets, was still unanswered.

So, I might create a sheet with multiple columns, but use it for qualitative data. So, in a single cell, I might want to place one or more paragraphs of text. But right now, I can’t get the text to wrap. The cell stays small and the text gets truncated.

So is there any way to have “word wrap” work here?

Thanks!

Hello,

I’m interested in the question posed here: are word wraps possible in sheets? I can’t seem to find the answer elsewhere. Does anyone know whether this is possible?

Will