Hello to everyone, first of all sorry for my English
I am a researcher in humanities and I think I 'm in love with DEVONthink The problem now is that I come from the PC world (with whom I get along very well) and changing my workflow is not so immediate. Let me ask you a few questions, I hope you can help me.
- is expected in the future a Devonthink PC version?
- is expected in the future a localization in italian language?
- At the moment I can not change my pcs with macs. The solution I am considering to use is virtualize maverick in windows through vmware.
I have to work primarily on desktop PC (at home) and virtual machine (VM necessarily, because it is at work). I then have a netbook with windows 7 and an android phone. The bulk of the work will be done on the 2 desktops, but I’d make the data available as possible. Now I work with simple files inside Dropbox: they’re accessible anywhere and on any platform, this is very good to me. It scares me a little to lock all them files into a proprietary database, for the fact that makes it difficult to access to others (I guess I’ll have to trade the power of DT with its “closure”)
- Is there an acceptable solution for my needs? I tried the synchronization to dropbox with the sync function (I read it’s better), but - apart it’s very slow - the syncronized files are put in DP in DT format, so I can’t read them for example from my smartphone. I see instead if I put the database file on Dropbox, I can search and read the single files inside it. This would be good, BUT it’s NOT reccomended because of databare corruction.
- Maybe I can only INDEX my files on DP, that would be good, but I can not accept to not move or rename them because I will lose the link with DT…
- Is it possible to do an automatic export of the entire database in non-proprietary format, with folders and files, to make it available at any place?
Thank you for your inputs