Questions if Devonthink pro is right for me

Following up on @rmschne’s comments, the Getting Started chapter in the Help and manual is a good place to, well… get started :slight_smile:

It gives the high level overview and philosophy of what DEVONthink is and isn’t, and basic concepts. This is especially true of the DEVONthink Simplified section.

2 Likes

Taking my first few steps here. I assume you are the author of the book? If so I thank you for it. I got some thoughts with reference to “Take Control of Devonthink 3” by Joe Kissell, v1.8

1.Inbox/Database question.
Under page 21 when you mentioned copies the original document - does it occur when it is at the inbox or when I drag the document in the data base? What is the reason of having an inbox when I can drag into the database.

2.How do I know my content is imported and not indexed?
Under page 22 - how can I ascertain that the file is copied in the data base and not referenced.

3.To import or to index?
There was a question on page 23 on the various methods of processing data and page 24 offers the solution. I work with the following file types, e.g. word documents - docx, the pdf, the excel spreadsheet - xls. the powerpoint - Ppt. The images Jpeg. and the videos mp4 . As such would it be wise if I import it and open the files directly from the database and use the corresponding programs to open and edit it or open it?

4.Is text written within the image scanned for text or do I have to convert them to pdf to do so? (Doing the exercise written on page 25). Edit: This exercise was asking me to create a group folder and drag my files from my database to the folder.

I wrote DEVONthink’s documentation. We did not write the MacSparky materials. That was David Sparks.

1. If you import a file into a database, it copies it unless you drag and drop the the Global Inbox’s alias in the Finder’s sidebar. That file is then moved into the Inbox’s internals.
    An inbox, just like the one on a real-world desk, is a place to gather unfiled items. It’s usually a temporary storage location and each database has one.
  2. Indexing doesn’t just happen. It is a method you need to use specifically. Importing is the default behavior. Also, there is a small Finder property icon to the left of an item’s name.
  3. How you open / edit files aren’t determining factors regarding importing and indexing.
  4. Which exercise on page 25 ?

Oh! I am sorry about that! My bad.

No worries :slight_smile:

@dov-ber I don’t want to appear to be telling you what to do; I don’t have a diagnosis of ADHD, but I can identify with many of the points you make; as is often the case, the disease entails pathological levels of normal.

Don’t let yourself be blocked by your limitations - if reading a 270 page manual isn’t right for you, then don’t. I didn’t. I didn’t even read the handbook. I just sat down and used DEVONthink. When I discovered something I had done actually wasn’t the way I wanted it, I simply changed whatever it was. You won‘t use DT to its full potential with or without those references - so why not use them (and the forum) when you get stuck rather than as a prerequisite for getting started? Just go for it :slight_smile:

Start with a small subset of your documents. See what works for you. Enjoy working with DT; let it work as it suits you. You and DT will develop along the way.

The only caveat as far as I am concerned, is have a backup. Or two backups. Use TimeMachine or whatever suits you. But have the option of going back in time if necessary.

6 Likes