Quick Question Coming from Evernote

I am exploring Devonthink (coming over from Evernote) and had a couple of questions:

1. Is there a way for Devonthink to recognize handwritten notes? One of the main things I use Evernote for is to scan (with my iPhone) handwritten notes or take pictures of whiteboard meetings. EN allows me to search for these notes later and recognizes my handwriting. Does Devonthink have something like this? I tried to setup an automation that “automatically” OCR’s new images created inside DT. However, when I tried to import my Evernote files it seems like it didn’t do any of the automation and none of my handwritten notes are searchable.

2. Is there a way to have a little more room at the very top of my notes and from the left hand side of the notes? It seems like it is extremely close to the top of the screen with the top of the note pushed all the way to the top instead of having a little margin at the top. Didn’t know if this was a setting somewhere I had just missed?

Thanks! Look forward to discovering DT! :slight_smile:

Welcome @macphreak

1. Some limited handwriting OCR is available but only with fairly strict letterforms.

However, when I tried to import my Evernote files it seems like it didn’t do any of the automation and none of my handwritten notes are searchable.

Evernote’s OCR is stored on their servers so exporting from their app doesn’t include the text layer.

1. Are you referring to the formatted notes imported from Evernote?

For the handwriting - is this going to be improved or is there another workflow or workaround to have it improved? I’m not looking to convert everything I write to text. However, I do search for a lot of my notes and whiteboards and images for text inside of images. So, I am just looking to ensure I can still do that.

For #2 - I am referring to the notes imported from evernote. Thanks!

We don’t develop the OCR engine so I can’t answer that.

There is no simple way to modify the margins of a formatted note.
Development would have to assess the internal format to modify the margins on conversion.