Quickly adding new text to a specific file in DTP?

Hi all,
So I’m trying to transition into using DTP more and more. Up until now I’ve had a number of text files, outside of DTP, that I could get to very quickly using Quicksilver. For instance, if I come across a quote that I’d like to save, I can invoke Quicksilver with control-space, then start typing QUOTES and hit return (after about 3 letters usually), then paste or type the text, hit command-S to save, and hit command-W to close.

If I import all my text files that are used in this way into DTP, is there still a way that’s at least equally as fast to add new text to a specific file in DTP? I need to be able to do this from any application, and without using the mouse (I have tendonitis). If there’s a way to keep using Quicksilver that’d be great.

And maybe a way to use QS to just OPEN any specific file in DTP?

um, maybe i can make an applescript called “quotes” that activates DTP and opens a rtf file in DTP called “quotes”? that way i could still use Quicksilver (to run the applescript).

ooh, or i could even make it simpler by having the applescript take text input from QS and append/prepend that to the “quotes” file in DTP! i’d have to make a different applescript for each text file i have like this, but that’s okay because there aren’t very many of them.

anyone think this will work/not?
more importantly, can anyone point me to some existing relevant applescript code so I waste as little time as possible reinventing the wheel?
thanks!

There must be a way to append to a specific file by name but I don’t know the trick.

You may find answers to your AppleScript questions in the Scripting forum here.

You can use DT’s own [application]>Services features to append to a file by selecting text on the screen.

Long ago I wrote a series of scripts to take user input and append the data to flat files on the hard drive; one was for appending quotes I found on the net. Since moving to DT, I abandoned them – I found it easier to add quotes using DT’s Services and letting DT create a new file for each quote. Having each quote in its separate file makes DT’s classification and search results more relevant, at least for me.

tvillemw, you raise an interesting point.
perhaps it would be better to enter each new snippet as a new individual file. but i would at least want to be able to put each new note into an appropriate category/group. (e.g., not all snippets that i store as “quotes” are going to necessarily be at all semantically related to each other) i wonder if there’s a way to do that?

UniAce, im a new user and i know nothing about authoring scripts, so this may be naieve, but i noticed ‘replicants’ in the video tutorial and thought how cool it is to be able to cross-reference and yet still keep one virtual master. maybe this would be a good technique for what you (and i) are after w/ QS?

You might get some good ideas by looking in the Academy sample data bases. You’ll want to use the features of the categories, searches and AI more as you use them. If, as in your last post, you decide to quickly make new notes, the To Do Database may help you get going. It uses a folder to dump all new stuff into, then suggests categorizing later. This lets DTPro work for you to create relationships that you may have not considered, it will also suggest where things might be categorized based on content or key words. Take a look at the tutorial under classify, for example. It takes a little getting used to because the tools we used to use were so limited we had to do much more “filing” than DTPro requires.
I’m not sure repicants are really what you may be after here.
GL Wilson

If you’ll forgive me quoting from another post…

Not perfect, but “append” and “lookup,” respectively, are perhaps useful.