Reading List Question

Is the reading list a “separate copy” of the item or a pointer to an item elsewhere? In other words, if I have something in my Inbox and I put it on my reading list, can I delete the item from my Inbox or is the Reading List pointing to it?

It’s a pointer to a file, not the file itself.

1 Like

If the file for the Reading List is added from Safari or outside DTP, where does this file live in DTP while it is in the Reading List? Is this hidden from the user? And then if you move the item from the Reading List to elsewhere in DTP, then the file location becomes visible?

If you have an item in the Reading List that was added within DTP, is it possible to find the path of the location? Similar to how you can find the original of an alias in the Finder?

Thank you,

Keene

1 Like

The Reading List in DEVONthink is unrelated to Safari’s.

Is this hidden from the user?

No. It is the ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 3/ReadingList.plist file.

And then if you move the item from the Reading List to elsewhere in DTP, then the file location becomes visible?

No.
The Reading List contains links, essentially bookmarks to items, no different than the other browser implementations.

If you have an item in the Reading List that was added within DTP, is it possible to find the path of the location? Similar to how you can find the original of an alias in the Finder?

The Location is displayed in the Info inspector, just as other items display their location.
You can also Control-click an item in the Reading List and choose Reveal to display its location in a database (assuming the file exists in an open database still).

All these things are easily testable on your setup and the Reading List is available in all editions of DEVONthink on the Mac.

The Reading List is covered in the Help > Documentation > Windows > Sidebar: Reading List.

Is there a way (e.g., a link) to open the reading list directly? Ideally, such that it would work both on macOS and iPadOS.
… I aim to build an overview where certain important things are located. The DT reading list could be such a place, and it would be nice to jump there quickly.

There is an item link fir the Reading List: x-devonthink-item://readinglist.

That sounds like exactly what I was looking for.
Unfortunately, when I paste this URL into a browser, I am being asked if I want to open DevonThink. When I say yes, the focus (the active front most window) switches to DevonThink, but at the spot where I was last (in this case, in the global inbox) – i.e. the reading list is not brought to the front most view (I am not a developer, so I am likely using terms quite loosely). – Am I missing something?

This link isn’t supported on the Mac currently.

Ahh… I forgot to mention that. :roll_eyes:

Ok. So what are my options on macOS? Some sort of script to bring DT to the front and then CMD-OPT-2 (like with keyboard maestro)?

But the next release will support it :slight_smile:

3 Likes

… and it does! :tada: thanks