Recovering after crash

Hi,
Yesterday something happened and my DT reverted to an older database. The programme also disappeared from my iBook and have had to reinstall it and DevonAgent.
When I search for ‘Devon’, I find 3 sets of DT databases with different times for each -> 1-10. ???
I believe the ones with the earlier timing have my information but cannot open them.
How can I get my information back? How can I prevent this from happening? I’d grown to depend on DT and now I cannot trust it.
Cheerio,
Hellene

Both applications did "disappear"? That sounds really like a damaged filesystem (can’t imagine anything else) - what did happen prior to this? Did OS X freeze/panic?

You’ll need a complete "set" (DEVONthink-[1-10].database) - copy those 10 files to ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink and launch DT PE. If the "set" does not work, try another one. If none of them work, you could stuff/zip the latest one and upload the archive to <ftp://ftp.devon-technologies.com/incoming&gt; and I’ll have a look at it.

The only way is to backup regularly as hardware (especially harddiscs), filesystems, operating systems, third party extensions and software might fail.

;D Thanx Christian! I put the databases in the folder and voila!
One thing, how come DT picked up an older set of databases? Is there some setting I should change?
Cheerio,
Hellene

Actually I don’t know as usually there should be only one set (and maybe an additional one inside the "Backup" folder) - maybe something or somebody copied/moved the files?