Reminders on Synced Computers

How do Reminders (notifications, alerts, email) work with respect to synced computers?

Do the notifications and alerts show on all computers synced to the database? Is an a reminder email sent from the computer where the reminder was originally entered?

Reminder on items are synced between Macs.

Do the notifications and alerts show on all computers synced to the database?

Likely not how you’re imagining it. One Mac is not going to alert another. But if there is an alarm on a synced file, the alarm should trigger on the individual synced Macs.

Is an a reminder email sent from the computer where the reminder was originally entered?

? I don’t know what you’re referring to, but no an email isn’t sent between machines as part of a Reminder process.

If I choose “Send Mail” as the type of Alarm, does every synced computer send an email?

@BLUEFROG Can you clarify please - When Send Mail is the type of Alarm, does every synced computer send an email? If not, which is the “master” computer to send the email?

If the computers are regularly synchronized, then usually only one should perform the reminder.

What determines which computer performs the reminder?

There’s no master computer or central server managing this, therefore it might be one or the other. One simple workaround to ensure that something happens only on one computer is to use an external script that exists only one one machine.

Thank you

A couple questions in trying to figure out the syntax and options to use an external script for this purposet:

(1) How do I assign an external script other than “Open Document” as a reminder?

(2) Can you clarify the syntax and options for an “alarm string” in the DT3 Applescript Dictionary?

I see this example in your Remind Me Tomorrow script but I am wondering what options I have beyond “alarm:notification”

Your scripts have to be saved in ~/Library/Application Scripts/com.devon-technologies.think3/Reminders.

However, you can’t perform actions that way, only add/change/remove reminders.

Then there is no way to send an email via an external script, correct?

So I guess the answer is that I should be sure that each of my synced computers is configured with a primary email app that can send email from DT3? That way it won’t matter which computer sends the email reminder.

You would have to script your default email client.

OK I will figure out a solution.

A suggestion - “nice to have” when time permits but not critical given the many other things I know are on the list. Would it be possible to turn reminders off on a per-computer basis. That way if I work with different synced computers in different locations, I could simply turn on reminders for whatever computer I am working on at the moment and know I will receive there.

Thanks for the suggestion, the next release will add such an option.

1 Like

I have a remotely related question: can I set the default email Adress for the “send mail” reminder? Thx

There is currently no option for setting a default email address in a reminder. First request of its kind, but it’s noted.

Follow up on this…

I wrote a reminder script to replicate an item into an inbox group–the reminder will trigger the script on the computer it was created on–but not on the synced device unless a restart of DT happens, or some other change in the reminder setting occurs.

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 11.52.28 AM

If I create this reminder on the MBP, it will sync to the other device, as expected.

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 11.52.10 AM

And it will run without error on the MBP at 11:59 as expected. But if DT is not open on the MBP at 11:59, nothing happens on the other device. However, if DT on the other device restarts between the sync and the time the reminder should trigger, the reminder will activate and run the script, but I get this error in the log:

Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 12.02.03 PM

I can replicate the issue in either direction, and with the included “Open Document” script as well. The scripts are saved on both devices.

Are Reminder Alarms enabled on one computer? Both?

Active on both.

When I set up synced computers with Reminders enabled on both, I found that it was random (or at least not predictable by me) which computer would run the reminder.

This may not be the only solution or even the best one, but what I did was to enable the Reminders on only one of the computers. I also set up a Smart Rule so that when a Reminder is executed, it also runs a script that sends a text message to me with the DT3 item link for the relevant item. So I may or may not get the actual reminder but I always get the text message.

1 Like