Remove icon for file link?

When editing a rich text file and dragging a link to a file, both the file name and an icon of the relevant application appear in the document. Is there a way to have only the linked file’s name and no application icon?

Thanks,
Carts
[/img]

I would like that, too.

The simple answer is no. DT Pro is using a standard Apple procedure.

Getting a bit more involved, and not always useful, you could import by link the file you wish to reference (as a new document in your database), then in the rich text document you are editing you could establish a text string link to that link document. Now, clicking on your text string link will take you to the link-imported document, then you can launch the referenced file under it’s native application using Open or Launch Path.

Good suggestion for a workaround, thanks Bill.
Carts

I am slightly confused. Is it not what happens anyway in DT Pro?

No. Carts wants to be able to link a text string, e.g., “presentation” to an Finder file, e.g., a Keynote file – which can be launched by clicking on his text string. DT Pro can’t directly do that.

My workaround amounts to doing a link import of the Keynote file into DT Pro. Then Carts can, in his RTF document, link “presentation” to that Keynote file import, and then launch the presentation.

I understand now.

I had in mind dragging an url link to a file.

Dragging a file into a rich text document actually doesn’t create links, the file is attached (!) to the document and displayed with an icon. That’s the default behaviour of the Cocoa text engine.

But to create links to files, folders or applications, just press the option-command modifier keys while dragging them into a rich text document (that’s a DT specific enhancement of the default behaviour).

DT will then insert a real link without an icon. Clicking the link opens the file, folder or application.

BTW: You can also create cross-links that way - press option-command while dragging a content into a rich text document.

Hi, Christian:

Thanks. That’s one of those tricks I’ve wanted to do for a long time. Should have know it, but didn’t. Option-Command-drag is one I’ll remember.

I’ve tried this and for some reason when I press option-command then click on the file to be dragged all open windows are hidden, thereby making it impossible to complete the drag. I’ve looked though my system shortcuts and find no hint why this happens.

Carts

Tiger’s command-option handling is a little bit confusing sometimes (especially of the Finder). However, pressing (and holding them down) the modifier keys after starting to drag the file (not before!) should always work.

That’s got it - great fix for my work.

Thanks very much Christian and Bill,
Carts