Rename Sync Store?

I use a sync store on Dropbox to sync all my databases. I set it up awhile back before I really understood the syncing and I’d now like to rename it with a more descriptive title but can’t find a way to do that. I know I can create a new one and upload/download all my data again, but I’d rather not do that as it’s a lot of data and I have data usage caps. Is renaming an already created sync store possible? If not, please consider this a feature request. Thanks.

No. You cannot rename a syncStore. Request noted.

OK. Thank you. Hope the feature can be added.

It was over 6 years ago. +1 for this feature request.

And only your +1 since then :wink:

First, I’m quite convinced no one can snatch the pebble from @BLUEFROG 's hand. I would never attempt such a thing.

However, is renaming a sync store really not possible? If the sync store is removed from Devonthink, can it be renamed in the Finder while disconnected?

Here’s what I just did with a test database.

1. created new sync store called junk on a local USB device.
  2. synced the test database to the new sync store.
  3. deleted the database
  4. used the minus button to drop the sync store out of Devonthink
  5. renamed the sync store from junk.dtcloud to barf.dtcloud. The rename was done in the Finder.
  6. double-clicked on barf.dtcloud in the Finder. barf then appeared in the sync preferences
  7. downloaded a fresh copy of the test database from the renamed sync store.

It seemed to work. At least once. With data I didn’t care about…

1 Like

It’s theoretically possible but could easily corrupt sync stores if multiple devices access & modify the sync store at the same time. That’s why it’s actually not possible.

1 Like

If we unselect the sync or like @Amontillado did (used the minus button to drop the sync store) at all devices, so no device will access the sync store, is it still save to rename the sync store?

You would have to remove the sync location (but do not clean it) from all devices first, ideally quit DEVONthink (To Go) on all of them too, rename the sync store and then add a new sync location using the new URL/path on all devices again. DEVONthink will recognize that it’s the same sync location and continue where it left.

Thanks. It works!

Backups, too - remember your backups!

Thanks for the reminder. Yup, need to do a backup before Renaming Sync Store, though I have daily backup of the databases.

I only tested on a small, not so critical Sync Store.

I have one big Sync Store yet to Rename. This one need to be careful.

If it’s of concern, then why bother renaming it? Unless you’ve named it with embarassing words :wink: I wouldn’t bother. Just IMHO.

2 Likes