Replicant behaviour - clarification needed

Seems how I have been treating these alien beings DT calls ‘replicants’ is the cause of files disappearing (ending up in the Trash, for instance). I watched the tutorial but it is very basic. I also read a little of the DTPO manual. Now, I hope someone can steer me away from further surprises…

1. What happens when I move 1 replicant (or more) to the trash - or to a different database?
  2. What happens to the other(s)?
  3. Does it matter if I move the ‘original’ or a later instance?

Thanks!
-Joseph R. Roberson

P.S., One more question: When I edit and change a replicant whose original is indexed, is the original changed also? For instance, if I edit an RTF file in DTPO that is indexed from Dropbox/Apps/Scrivener, or Dropbox/manuscript/Scrivener external sync folder, will those changes show up when I open and sync Scrivener with Dropbox?

You can’t move a replicant to another database and have it maintain its replicant status.
Moving a replicant to the Trash removes the replicant status as well.

If you moved a replicant to another database, they both lose their replicant status.

There is no “original”. They are all equal.

Dear BlueFrog, aka Jim…
Thanks for speedy reply.
Please, if you will, translate into non-geek terms what you mean by “they both lose their replicant status.” When I move a replicant from one database to another, do I end up with 2 independent, unlinked files that are identical?
-yogajoe56, aka Joseph

P.S., I added a P.S. bonus question to my original post. Did you see it?

Yes. And since they’re unrelated to each other after that, changes to one don’t affect the other.

Yes, of course. An indexed file in a database is not the file itself. It points to an external file. So changing a replicant of an indexed file, is the same as changing the file you originally indexed.

Jim,
Now I know. Gratitudes…
-PoisonYogaDartFrog (aka Joe)

P.S., I think DEVONthink should have named these shape-shifters Doppelgängers instead of Replicants. On the other hand, “Replicants” makes me think of Blade Runner. I take it back.

Maybe of a tiny bit of interest, but the frog I associate with my handle is Dendrobates Azureus!

(My handle is actually was originally derived from my father seeing a brilliant blue frog at a church camp in Michigan. He even contacted herpetologists to see if they could help him possibly identify it. They all said, “There are none, and never have been, blue frogs in Michigan, and a tropical frog couldn’t survive the environment!” He maintains he saw it, and the handle - which I have used for 30+ years - is a small homage to his tale.) :smiley:

Interesting. Have you considered the possibility that the Bluefrog your father saw was an escaped pet? Evidently they are popular as such. See treefrog.ca/azureus

Indeed, it’s possible, but given the times (the 70’s) and the climate in Michigan, it would be very high odds against it.

Love this kind of thing! Wonderful what can be learned as I knew nothing about blue frogs until this posting, now done some reading and they are fascinating creatures. Thanks for the spark of interest that you generated. :smiley:

If you think blue frogs are interesting, then y’all may also be interested to Google ‘blue people of Kentucky’.