Restructuring a Database (Advice on)

You’ve not really asked how you should organise your files, only if we’ve done a restructure (though I realise it’s hard to answer one without the other!).

I vaguely follow a decimal system with folders that are numbered (discussed briefly in the forum here: Johnny Decimal... and automatic filing? - #7 by MsLogica).

I have done a restructure, as I decided to “promote” a folder to the top tier, reorder my folders and move some files. This was motivated by how I was using my data and a change in my priorities. My only advice for you really is if you want to restructure, commit the time to do it properly. I had to do all of mine manually (re numbering folders, moving files to new files I’d created, etc.), but I did it because I could see that it would make my life easier and eliminate a source of friction. I can’t really say that the upfront time cost was less than the ongoing cost of subpar navigation would’ve been, but it’s improved my quality of life and made it easier.

As ever though, ask yourself how future-you actually navigates these files, then map accordingly.