Run smart rule on custom metadata change

Is it possible to set a smart rule to trigger on an item’s custom metadata being changed? (Preferably with the option to restrict it to just changes on a specific metadata field.)

For this particular use case, a workaround is to trigger the rule daily with a condition that the metadata field is not empty, but I would also like to have the option to do something automatically if that value subsequently changes.

(Incidentally, what time do rules marked to run daily actually run? I’d like to be sure they’re not triggering at the same time as I’m running a backup, for example…)

Is it possible to set a smart rule to trigger on an item’s custom metadata being changed?

No, this is not possible as there’s no event trigger for watching metadata. A temporal event trigger, like Hourly would work.

Development would have to comment on the time a Daily event triggers.

There’s no fixed time, the smart rules are just performed at least 24 hours after the last execution.

Thanks — I guess that to run a rule at a specific time, the method is to set it to On Demand and trigger it with perform smart rule in AppleScript from a Keyboard Maestro macro with a timed trigger.

1 Like