Run versions 2 and 3 separately?

Before I install the 3.0 public beta … how do I keep version 2 and my old v.2 databases secure and untouched?

If you want to keep things fully isolated, it is suggested to create a separate User account for running DT3. If you want to copy some databases to that account for testing, that’s feasible too.

I hope it’s okay when I bump this topic. As this is without doubt an important topic for many if not most DT users it seems best practice for me to not spread questions regarding this topic over multiple threads.

The solution you provided, Jim, for running DT in both versions side by side is the safest one, I got that.

But I find creating a new User account and switching back and forth between it and my proper one quite cumbersome.

So what are safe (though not as-safe-as) options? Is it possible to open my main database only in v2 and DTTG and a test database in v3 and DTTG? Or is it possible to open a test data base or maybe the Inbox in all three?

And what about the DT extension for Safari and the Mail plug-in: Does v3 install them additionally to the ones from v2 or do they replace the older ones? And if so is it possible to re-replace them with v2?

1 Like

But I find creating a new User account and switching back and forth between it and my proper one quite cumbersome.

This is a beta test, and rigorously testing things is never convenient. I personally suggest you set aside testing time for v3 independently, if you want to continue to use v2.
PS: I do testing and support and switch between three User accounts on several Macs: one for general support, two for DT3 testing.

And what about the DT extension for Safari and the Mail plug-in: Does v3 install them additionally to the ones from v2 or do they replace the older ones? And if so is it possible to re-replace them with v2?

There are independent plugins for v3. It’s technically possible to have both sets installed, but again, I advocate isolated testing.