Safari 5 Reader Function - soon for DT?

The “reader” feature in Safari 5 is useful. Similar to what Arc90’s Readability javascript bookmarklet does. Displays multi-page articles as one page. Does Webkit support “reader” and will we be seeing it soon in DT? I’ve hacked Readbility for my own an installed it in DTPO, but it would be good to see the “reader” feature inbuilt.

As far as I know it’s unfortunately not part of the WebKit.

I agree Reader is great, especially for multi-page documents. I have confirmed that I can, at least, print my Reader documents as PDF’s, directly to DEVONthink. I wonder if DEVONthink’s already wonderful web clipping tool was re-worked as a Safari extension, could it save a web page directly to DEVONthink in Reader format? Would re-working it as an extension offer any other benefits? Just a thought.

Note that a Safari 5 Reader conversion can be captured as rich text to a DT database by clicking in it, pressing Command-A to select text/images, then “Command-)”, the Service to capture a rich text note.

I was impressed by Reader. It captured a four-page article from the New York Times Web site.

The Safari 5 Reader is fantastic aid for collecting web material in a readable format! With DTP, I use Print –> PDF -> Save PDF to DEVONthink Pro from the Reader. Works perfectly!

Unfortunately, clipping to web archive format doesn’t work (yet) from the Reader. Content isn’t captured and the URL is listed as safari-resource:/Reader.html. (No doubt this is the legitimate URL Safari is displaying, and when DT tries to load it for archival purposes it naturally fails.) For now I’ll just print to PDF or capture as rich text.

Perhaps you can offer some basic InstaPaper integration (at least for DEVONthink customers with InstaPaper accounts, which I believe are free), and offer the ability to capture a web page as its InstaPaper “Text” view (via http://www.instapaper.com/text?u=http://...)?

I wrote an apple script that takes the current RSS feed and opens it in Safari Reader.

I found myself doing this constantly. I mapped the script to “cmd+shift+r” in devonthink (same as safari’s).

It could easily be modified for any devon url source.

I’m no applescripter, so there may be a better way.

tell application id "com.devon-technologies.thinkpro2"
	try
		if not (exists think window 1) then error "No window is open"

set this_URL to the URL of think window 1

tell application "Safari"
			tell window 1
				set current tab to (make new tab with properties {URL:this_URL})
			end tell
		end tell

tell application "Safari" to activate
		delay 1
		tell application "System Events"
			tell process "Safari"
				click menu item "Enter Reader" of menu 1 ¬
					of menu bar item "View" of menu bar 1
			end tell
		end tell
	end try
end tell

Just wanted to add support for this request. It’d be particularly useful if this function was useable when viewing any document in a DT database (rtf, pdf, etc). A one-step command for viewing Reader-style would be a big improvement over, say, the full-screen view currently available (a column of text is easier to read than text stretching across the screen; text is instantly re-sized; and I find that dimming the screen outside of the column of text, as Reader does, helps one to focus).

I too would very much appreciate a DTP service in Safari to save the Reader version of a web piece to DTP. Please! We can set a keyboard shortcut to Reader but are stopped cold once there, other than adding to the print services and tabbing or mousing there. Please!
I have not switched my RSS feeds to DTP because of this. Thank you.

Thank you Bill for solving yet another problem. Printing Safari’s reader view to PDF in DTP is so stupidly simple. Duh. I’m glad I found this thread.