Safari Quit after DTPro Upgrade

Please tell me there is an easy solution here. I am running Yosemite 10.10.1 on my MacBook Air. This morning I upgraded to the latest version of DTPro and Safari Quit. It will not run at all. I do not have a database open. The Inbox is located in the default Application Support folder.

I need to either fix this quickly or uninstall DTP so I can use Safari on a research trip this weekend. I don’t have another browser installed so I can’t even use Chrome or Firefox. And, btw, how does one uninstall this program?

Any ideas will be much appreciated.

Look at the Console and see if there are any messages from DEVONthink or Safari. The interaction DEVONthink has with Safari is the clipper extension, which can be removed manually by navigating to this location and deleting it. (Afterward, empty the trash and reboot, for good measure.)

~/Library/Safari/Extensions/Clip to DEVONthink.safariextz

If problems continue, open a ticket with Support and send them the Console messages (if any).

I didn’t know about the Console. There are over 4000 messages there since yesterday. Something must be amiss. I cannot find a Safari folder inside the Library folder. Should I uninstall DTP, or does this sound like something else?

There is a Safari folder inside your user account Library, and it does contain the Clip to DEVONthink extension, a file named “Clip to DEVONthink-2.safariextz". The address of that file is ~/Library/Safari > Extensions > Clip to DEVONthink-2.safariextz. (The “~” character in the location address indicates that it is a user account location, not a location within your boot drive Library.)

Apple has hidden your user account Library folder from view. To make if visible, go to the Finder and choose Go in the menu, then choose Go to Folder. In the query field type “~/Library” (without quotation marks).

Now you will be able to see and navigate within your user account Library folder. Navigate to the file named Clip to DEVONthink-2.safariextz at the location shown above, then Control-click (right click) on it and choose the option to move it to the Trash.

Comment: I don’t recall any other reports of Safari incompatibility with the Clip to DEVONthink extension, so unless it or the DEVONthink application itself became malformed (incomplete or corrupted) during download and saving to disk, I don’t believe this is a case of actual incompatibility with Safari. Go ahead and try removing and reinstalling first the Clip to DEVONthink extension file, then (if the issue persists afterwards) removing the DEVONthink application (after first quitting the Sorter, if running) and downloading and installing a fresh copy of the application.

In my own experience, Safari under OS X 10.10.1 does have some stability problems, as it sometimes reports an error to Apple and reloads, but doesn’t actually quit running. Safari can also be a memory hog, especially after opening a number of tabs. It seems to allow accumulation of a lot of inactive memory that isn’t automatically flushed when pages are closed. When that happens, quitting and relaunching Safari usually restores free RAM.

However, Safari is so superior to Chrome or Firefox for my preferred capture of HTML Web pages as rich text or WebArchive of a selected area of a page that it remains my default browser.