Save directly to DEVONthink from other app

Hi, I’m still using the trial of DT Pro. Really liking it so far. One thing I think I’d like to be able to do is save documents from other applications directly into DT. For example, I use OmniOutliner a lot to write outlines. Right now if I want to get a document into DT, I have to save it to the disk, import to DT, and then re-open from within DT. I know DT can index instead of import but I don’t really like that because if the file moves then DT is hosed (out of curiosity: some apps I use can take a reference to another file, and if the file changes location somehow the app knows about it? Is it possible for DT to do that?) So what I’d like to be able to do is automate this workflow…save a document, import to DT, and then reopen the DT version and trash the original. Is there an applescript / automator / service to do something like this?

Also wondering if you have any general comments about this sort of approach. I’m seriously considering making DT pretty much my file system for everything that I care about. Advised, ill-advised, anything I should watch out for? I’ll be reading the documentation to get a better understand of how to use DT, but would still appreciate any feedback.

Locate the inbox in ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONThink Pro 2. Click-drag this to the “Places” section of Finder. When you save from most apps that use Finder-style dialogs, the Inbox will be in the sidebar. Save things there, and they show up in the global inbox in DTPO.

An other Approach would be to create an OmniOutliner-Template within DTP and start the new document in DTP: Data>New>Template. Works fine for me.

Johannes

BRILLIANT thank you

Excellent this is another thing I was wondering how to do. Will be going through the docs to figure everything out, in the meantime korm’s suggestion is perfect. Thanks to you both!

This has to rank as one of those wonderful tips that have me scratching my head wondering, Why didn’t I think of that?

Thanks Korm. I have the inbox under places but never ever thought to do a Save… to it.

Just place an empty OmniOutliner file into:
~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2/Templates.noindex

It will appear among the pre-defined templates.

Johannes