Saving External Documents to DTPO

I was working in PAGES today and would like to know if there is a way to save my document directly to DTPO? As opposed to, saving the native document and then “pulling” it into DTPO.

And a second question along the same line; should I try to save all documents into my database instead of (again) saving it natively and then pulling into DTPO? And, if I’m able to do this, (sorry, third question) will DTPO allow the document to open in its native Application?

1. If you save your Pages document to the ‘Inbox’ folder in the Finder, it will be saved directly into the DEVONthink Global Inbox.

If you save a Pages document (basically just an empty document in the desired layout) to the Global Inbox, you can then select it and choose File > Export > as Template to add it to the templates available within DEVONthink. To use it, choose it from the Templates choices and start editing.

1. You can always open a document in its parent application by clicking on the ‘Open Externally’ icon in the Toolbar, or by right-click and choosing ‘Open With…’.

I’m not sure how I can save to the INBOX from the FINDER (where would I find this in FINDER?) and;

when you refer to the INBOX and the GLOBAL INBOX are these both the same?

Are either one of these the INBOX with in the DEVONthink TAB which protrudes and expands and contracts onto my monitor?

A location named ‘Inbox’ is listed in the left column of Finder windows. Items dragged into it are sent to DEVONthink’s Global Inbox - the database named ‘Inbox’ that’s listed in the left sidebar of view windows.

Items dragged into the Inbox in the Sorter will be sent to the Global Inbox immediately if DEVONthink is running, or sent to it when next launched if the application isn’t currently running.

The Inbox location in the Finder can be chosen as the destination when invoking Save or Save As, to save a new or edited document directly to the Global Inbox.

Excellent idea! Presumably you could also do this with other applications such as Numbers?

Yes. :slight_smile:

That “Inbox” location is shown in Finder and in Save dialogs for any application if you have installed it by chosing DEVONthink > Preferences > Install Add-Ons … > Global Inbox in Save Dialogs

An alternative is to navigate (in Finder) to ~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2 and from there drag the “Inbox” into your Finder sidebar.

Thanks for these Tips!

I’ve wondered how to access the GLOBAL Inbox in Saved Dialogs from the Install Add On Menu because it is always grayed out. What do I do to activate?

Might be that DEVONthink mistakenly think’s (insert bad pun joke) it’s still in Finder’s sidebar when it’s removed after installed once from Install Add-Ons…, which would be a minor bug.