Scansnap and Catalina

Try exactscan. Imho better for documentscanning an can directly scan into DT (I let DT make the OCR things). Used it under Mojave. Developer ist just preparing for Catalina - atm it is crashing under Catalina.
http://exactscan.com

2 Likes

You can get your scans to automatically go into the DT Global Inbox using the Folder Actions that DevonTHINK provides. When I use my ScanSnap S1500M I use Vuescan to scan and put the resulting PDF into a folder on my Desktop that I named “To DevonTHINK”. That folder has a folder action that runs OCR on the file, copies it to the DT Global Inbox, and then deletes the scanned file leaving the folder empty. This is discussed in the DT documentation, search for “Folder Actions”. This doesn’t use Hazel by the way…

2 Likes

Thanks, all for the replies, ideas…

This is discussed in the DT documentation, search for “Folder Actions”.

Also also explicitly in Help > Documentation > Automation > Folder Actions.

@sponch:

Developer ist just preparing for Catalina - atm it is crashing under Catalina.

Thanks for sharing this as it shows other developers also have challenges and issues with Apple’s beta operating systems too. :slight_smile:

As ScanSnap did not further on worked I downloaded this ScanSnap Home Software and are frustrated. The former version allowed for direct OCR and storage in DT. Any way to bring ScanSnap Home to do the same?

But note you should not try and direct the output to the Global Inbox. Leave the output folder in ScanSnap Home at the suggested location.

Hi,
thanks for sharing.
The actual version is a bit different to install starting Step 4. There is no selection on the left column to Applications. Instead you need to select a standard, e.g. Automatic scan and have to edit this copy of the profile.

After you have stored it you re-enter the edit mode and than can drag and drop the profile icon for DT to any place in the top row you want.

What I do not understand in the moment: you wrote that the output should not go to the Global Inbox in DT, but the output should stay in ScanSnap Home. Result: no integration as before - or?

The folder is set to the Scansnap directory, but since the application is set to DT, it will be opened and imported into DT and OCRed. The integration is there, the Scansnap Home UI is a little confusing.

@alanshutko is correct.

There are two different options in the scan profile:

• One is where the scanned file is saved. This should not be the Global Inbox in the Finder’s sidebar. See:
  • The other is the application where the output is directed. Sending the output to DEVONthink as the application allows it to import in a controlled manner based on your Preferences > Import > Destination settings.

He is also correct about the UI in Home being a bit confusing :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m going to suggest this even though I don’t like what they’re doing. Fujitsu has something called ScanSnap Home that’s 64bit and supposedly compatible with Catalina (I haven’t tried). The parts that I don’t like are:

1. The interface is horrible in my opinion
  2. This is the deal breaker for me. It requires “full disk access” under Catalina. This is a huge security hole IMO. It literally gives their software access to any and all files in your file system which bypasses the security in Catalina specifically intended to safeguard your files. And it’s not a matter of trusting intentions, it’s that any bug in the ScanSnap Home code could expose your system to bad actors.

So, because of #2 I’ve purchased ExactScan. Of course right after purchasing I noticed it said Catalina support coming in a few days. Sigh…I just updated.

Yes, the ScanSnap UI isn’t very aesthetically appealing.

Note: For the best operation, DEVONthink 3 should be given Full Disk Access as well as permitting any Automation requests it makes. Just an FYI.

I just installed the updated code for ScanScap for Catalina. What a mess. Here’s what happened.

I installed the software which, as it seems, downloads and executes external code in the background. When run, it complains about not having Full Disk Access, you click on the modal and a web page pops up with instructions. When you try to grant the access it needs, it appears the Privacy Settings has an entry for “ScanSnap Home Setup”, which causes failure, so you get the nagging window pop-up modal again, asking for Full Disk Access.

I suspect this is a bug and oversight that made it through QA. But it effectively has prevented me from getting any work done. I can’t scan to folder, nothing.

I emailed tsupport@fujitsu, along with my scanner serial number, explaining the above. It’s a really disappointing experience. I need my scanner.

Anyone else run into this?

Welcome @forrie
First report I’ve seen and… ugh! :confused:

I just went through this today. It is a bit of a mess. 2 Points though with Catalina.

1. The full disk access you have come across. You may have thought you enabled it but when you did it likely disappeared from the list of enabled apps. For me I had to go to the Full Data Access Page under Privacy and explicitly add the ScanSnap Home Application to the list and then enable Full Disk Access.

2. If you are using the iX500 wirelessly - I am - and you have the MacOS firewall turned on - I do - You will have to manually add the ScanSnapHome app to the firewall settings screen. I also had to add DevonThink 3 so I could sync my databases, but that is not a scanning issue.

I can now scan, wirelessly, with my ScanSnap IX500 on macOS Catalina. I cannot currently find away of directing those OCR scans to the inbox of my scans database. Which is why I am searching the DevonTechnologies Forum.

Hi there, thanks for your reply. I tried this again. This time, I used the full install (local) where I downloaded the entire installation. It resulted in the same problem, and I do not have a Full Data Access option on my Privacy & Security settings.

I’m beyond miffed about this – and I’ve not heard from Fujitsu yet.

@forrie
And not to salt the would, but my install of ScanSnap Home (updated just today too) works flawlessly on my Catalina Mac.

@ucs308

I cannot currently find away of directing those OCR scans to the inbox of my scans database.

You should not put the output path in ScanSnap Home to the Global Inbox.
You can set DEVONthink’s Preferences > Import > Destination to Select group and choose the destination group of scans.

It’s also possible you could construct a smart rule to move certain files to the Inbox of a database.

OK, I believe I fixed the problem. What I found above was correct, the name of the executable/program that show[s|ed] up in the Privacy & Security settings was incorrect. The installer places it as “Scansnap Home Setup”, which is incorrect (and fairly obvious). Here’s what I did: I downloaded the FULL install; that is, the offline installer and ran this (twice, actually). When the installation was finished, with the Privacy & Security settings open, I dragged and dropped the ScanSnap app (from the Applications folder) to the Full Disk Access pane, which created the CORRECT entry. Then, scanning started working.

What a royal pain in the a**.

But now, I need to figure out how to “fix” this so that it scans to DevonThink, and I could use some help here. My brain is fried from Fujitsu bugs :slight_smile:

Forrest

Here’s a blog post on the subject (and yes, substitute DEVONthink 3 here):

But you can also just edit an existing profile with these two requirements…

1. Leave the Save to at the location suggested by ScanSnap Home. Do not set it to the Global Inbox.
  2. Set the Send to to DEVONthink 3.

Thanks, I managed to get this working. I did note that it takes a little longer to get to DT tho. Maybe a fluke.

Thank you.

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

I did note that it takes a little longer to get to DT tho.

I’m not sure what this means. If you have anything quantified, let me know.