Script to select workspace

(By the way, @BLUEFROG, I went ahead and bought Sal S.'s book 1-2-3 Applescript based on our discussions on this forum)

Nice! Sal is the Man, for sure. He and Shane Stanely are giants in Mac automation.

(By the way, @BLUEFROG, I went ahead and bought Sal S.'s book 1-2-3 Applescript based on our discussions on this forum)
You can change the icon for the script in the Finder, but currently it will be bounded in a button. Like so…

@cgrunenberg would have to assess whether this can be changed to allow for just displaying the icon itself. (I’m guessing it would not be a simple change.)

That’s all I want, actually, thanks!

You’re welcome!

Did think to do that - awesome! Can finally hide the text in the toolbar.

Can finally hide the text in the toolbar.

Do note: Icon only will hide the document name and proxy icon.

A couple changes:
*improved the dialog for selection
*@ngan added code to close all open windows before loading the new ones

-- Load Workspace
-- from a list of all saved workspaces

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use scripting additions

tell application id "DNtp"
	try
		set theWorkspaces to workspaces
		set mychoice to (choose from list theWorkspaces with prompt "Load this workspace" default items "None" OK button name {"Load"} cancel button name {"Cancel"})
		if mychoice is not false then
			set theSelection to item 1 of mychoice
			close every think window
			load workspace theSelection
		end if
	end try
end tell

This script can be paired with the following script, which will save your workspace to one of your saved ones. If you put these scripts in the tool bar, it makes it easy to load and save workspaces for individual projects, etc.

-- Save Current Workspace
-- to a list of all saved workspaces

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use scripting additions

try
		set mychoice to (choose from list theWorkspaces with prompt "Save this workspace to:" default items "None" OK button name {"Save"} cancel button name {"Cancel"})
			save workspace theSelection
		end if
	end try
end tell
3 Likes

I almost don’t dare to ask but how do you place a single script in the toolbar?

In this forum, u can ask for anything and very likely will be getting a response. FYI, I also didn’t know where to place a script and not even understand what a script is about 18 months ago.

For putting script under the toolbar menu, see pg 179-180 of the manual. Just remember to quit and re-open DT3 AFTER you place the script in the folder. The customisation of button is mostly similar to other app, ctrl-click the toolbar and you see a list of buttons for drag and drop on to the toolbar.

Also even if you aren’t on DevonThink, combined with bring DT front and your script, this script brings DT front then brings window to choose workspaces.

activate application "DEVONthink 3"
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "DEVONthink 3"
		try -- Symbols
			set focused of scroll area 1 of group 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 to true
		end try
		try -- List
			set focused of outline 1 of scroll area 1 of group 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 to true
		end try
		try -- Columns
			set focused of scroll area -2 of scroll area 1 of browser 1 of splitter group 1 of group 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 to true
		end try
		try -- Two pane
			set focused of outline 1 of scroll area 1 of splitter group 1 of group 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 to true
		end try
		try -- Three pane / Tags
			set focused of outline 1 of scroll area 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of group 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window 1 to true
		end try
	end tell
end tell
	try
		set mychoice to (choose from list theWorkspaces with prompt "Load this workspace" default items "None" OK button name {"Load"} cancel button name {"Cancel"})
			close every think window
		end if
	end try
end tell

Thanks @ngan for your kind words and the description. Easy :slight_smile:

Re Suggestion: add workspaces to sidebar, make dynamic for flagging the loaded workspace, there is an easy method that only required creating one dummy file for only once (I think).

(1) Create a dummy file anywhere in any database, and gets its uuid, but never delete it. (2) Also drag and drop the dummy to the “Favorites”. (3) Add two more lines of script to ur workspace-loading script.

Every time you change the workspace, the dummy filename changes accordingly.

Just a suggestion.

try
        -- get the dummy that is under "Favorites", I just make-up an arbitrary uuid here
        set wsFlag to get record with uuid "3874ABCB-2073-46A9-ABA4-730A8BF70C40"

close every think window
            -- or any naming format you'd like to use
            set name of wsFlag to "*Workspace: " & theSelection
		end if
	end try
end tell

Learn a new trick from u today…
FYI, you can put the script between these two words:

your script 

Thank you.

Yes, even DevonThink doesn’t have to be active with this script.

So then, a save script would just have to access that file, read its name to be able to update the correct workspace. Very clever!

Does the file need to be in favorites though? I tried it without, and it worked. And that way, it could be hidden away somewhere.

Just want to make sure that I’m not misleading you. The added lines just change the name of the dummy to reflect which workspace has been loaded coz you mentioned that you forget which workspace is loaded sometimes.

No, the dummy doesn’t need to be in favourites. Just that I thought you may want to see that right in the sidebar. It is one possible idea and there is no need to waste too much time on it…

No, I get it. It’s using the dummy file as a way to store the currently active workspace. I just made the following script to update the current workspace.It looks up your dummy file, trims out the name of the workspace from it, and saves the current workspace to it.

try
		--change uuid to the item link of your dummy file
		set wsFlag to get record with uuid "043DA815-DB89-46D5-A0B7-D403D724365E"
		--assumes the name of this file is "*workspace: " + the workspace name
		set wsName to the name of wsFlag as text
		set wsName to ((characters 13 thru -1 of wsName) as string)
		save workspace wsName
		beep

end try
end tell

I’m not a fan of using “characters 13 thru -1” to strip out the prefix, but I couldn’t find a simple command to remove a substring. Anyone have a suggestion for how remove a substring (e.g. "*workspace: ") from a longer string (e.g. “*workspace: savedname”)?

1 Like

This is phantastic! Thank you for sharing.

An AppleScript noob asking:
How do I always save to the current workspace?

@dansroka By chance, do you know if it’s possible to limit the windows that DEVONthink saves for a given workspace? For example, is it possible to only save the frontmost window or those on your current desktop/space?

Like yourself, I use a lot of workspaces (and use a similar script, which I feed into Alfred to make the selection and saving of workspaces a little easier). At any given time, I usually have a few different workspaces open - which makes updating them tricky (i.e., because it requires opening a closing the windows that aren’t associated with a particular workspace). In any case, given your use of workspaces, I just thought you might have a trick for this. Thanks for your help!

Sorry, I don’t know the answer to that! Maybe someone else…?

No it’s not possible. A workspace will remember every open window. If you don’t want a window included, close it.