Scrivener files and version 3.5

Thanks. That scenario is way too complex for my use, but good to know.

I assume importing scrivener files to DT3 would then make them unusable for scrivener on iOS? I suppose one could index them in that case…

The advantage of syncing is if you work with more than one Mac.

But maybe that doesn’t cover the intended sense of your question. If you meant, why sync “Scrivener with DT3” in particular, then I can say that I’m finding this very convenient. My Scrivener projects typically have other ancillary or supporting files of all sorts that go with them; these I now keep in the same place (DT3 group) as the Scrivener project itself. And not only is that whole array of files relating to a project now together in one place, but they all get synced together.

I find DT3’s Bonjour sync to be very fast, so in a moment I can sync everything relating to a writing project (including, now, as I say, the Scrivener project itself) from my iMac to my laptop, and I don’t have to worry about anything being missing, or having to sync something else as well.

Of course I could use Dropbox sync instead (or as well), but I find Bonjour syncing on my network to be the fastest, indeed so fast that sometimes I barely know the process has happened. Away from my network (rarely so at the moment!) I use the Dropbox sync.

Far from being ‘complex’ I find it simplifies all my writing projects, because everything’s in one place; that is, in DT3, on any machine.

Opening a Scrivener project in DT3 is no more difficult than opening any other file in its default external editor.

I can’t speak to the ways other people might choose to work, but there’s no way I can do serious, methodical writing on my phone. If I find something relevant whilst using my iPhone, or if an idea hits me, a shortcut sends it to Dropbox and thence immediately to DT3 via a Hazel rule. (I’ll use DTTG if and when development makes it usable.)

I guess the above scenario doesn’t apply to those using iPads. I suppose in that case, for syncing Scrivener via Dropbox, you have to use the dedicated ‘app’ folder for Scrivener (as far as I’m aware), but I don’t use an iPad.

Thanks for the explanation. At the moment, I’m building a large database in DT3 for a book / series project, putting together scenarios and other stuff arising from the data in Tinderbox and will (eventually) be using Scrivener for the writing.
I admit that I rather like the individual independence of each bit of software as it allows me to think and then go look, rather than look at everything and get stuck in the details. But that’s just the way I prefer to work. Does make me wonder, though, how Gibbons, for example, managed to write those volumes of The History Of The Decline And Fall Of The Roman Empire without the benefit of DT3 (or Scrivener). Makes my project look puny in comparison!

I don’t get that, because having everything in one place avoids precisely that - getting stuck in scattered details … but hey - everybody’s different. What works for you works for you :smiley:

I’m sure Gibbon would have loved DT3. Might have had a seventh volume :laughing:

1 Like

I’m not saying I won’t change, but that at the moment I see no need to.