Scrolling a markdown document is jerky and renders strangely. Can't always get to the bottom

As the subject says, scrolling a markdown document is jerky and renders strangely. This happens on the editing side, and not the preview side. The text flickers and draws strangely. The scrollbar shudders. I can’t always get to the bottom. The preview side scrolls normally and seems to “unlock” the editing side in terms of getting to the bottom. Included a screen recording to show the behavior. DevonThink 3.7 jerky scroll.mp4.zip (12.5 MB)

Which version of macOS do you use? Does a restart of the app or a reboot fix this?

Big Sur. Restarting DevonThink didn’t help. Rebooting macOS didn’t help.

WFM, tried with two documents containing tables and images.

I too am experiencing exactly the same problem as reported by jeffvogelsang: in my case I just upgraded to DT 3.7 on macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 on a 21.5" iMac late 2013.

I restart DT and also the system, but the problem persists.

I see this as well. Editing near the end of the document has for a long time resulted in jitter and screen-redraws for me, but I think it is worse in 3.7. It seems like the entire text window is being re-rendered after every few characters, and there is some latency as the scrollbar position is properly set. It is quite annoying to type text at the bottom of the document this way.

I have found that this happens if the bottom of the document is visible, but if I’m elsewhere, it is OK. To avoid it, I have found that I can add a couple of blank lines to the end of the document, and then scroll so those lines are not visible. That will usually avoid the problem. But this is a workaround and not always convenient to do.

Which version of macOS do you use?

Ooo! On my work machine, I am locked into 10.15.7, and text scrolling is very jumpy. However, it appears to be much better on my 11.2 personal machine.

How long are the documents? Is there any background activity (e.g. sync) going on?

DT version 3.7.1: fixed problem with Markdown editor. Thank you very much.

Oddly enough, the scroll-to-bottom issue for Markdown text only started with DT 3.7.1 for me. Catalina 10.15.7. Restarting the app temporarily fixes the issue.

Does this affect only certain documents? Or even small dummy Markdown documents?