Search for a string with question mark

I have an email imported into DEVONthink with the name Cleaner Table Formatting when converting from Markdown to Latex?

When I try to search for “Cleaner Table Formatting when converting from Markdown to Latex?” (incl quotes) I get no result. When I remove the ? sign from the query I get as expected the email as results.

Why can’t I search for a fixed string (quoted search) for a string with a questionmark?

Only alphanumeric characters are indexed and ? is actually part of the wildcard syntax.

Thanks. But in double quotes? Don’t we have a literal match then?

If the phrase matches without the question mark, why does it matter?

Because then I have to think:

I have an email and I want to check whether I have put it into DEVON-think. So I copy its subject/name, paste it in quotes in the search field (I remember already, that I need the quotes) - and don’t find it.

It would be nice if when quoted I don’t need to think: “Are there characters which cannot go into a quoted search?”

You could very likely find a match by just searching for cleaner table formatting" latex.

Even quoted phrases support wildcards.

When you import an email into DT, it gets a unique ID that is identical to the message id. DT does not import the same email twice because of that id.

2 Likes

That’s indeed at the core of the issue…

Wow, cool to know. :slight_smile:

I guess I just have to keep this always in mind.

Thanks for the details!