Search not working as expected

I tried to perform a search on my iPhone with an order number that was within an .eml file in my database, but the email did not show up. I tried searching on my Mac and found it easily with that order number (even just a partial of that number). I then noted the name of the file in the database from my Mac and performed a search on my iPhone with that file name and it came up just fine. Does DT2G not allow searching for content of .eml files? Or am I just doing something wrong?

As far as I know, all indexing is done on my iPhone’s DT2G. I even opened the .eml on the iPhone after finding it via the file name search, downloaded it, tried the search again with the order number, and it still wouldn’t appear in the search results.

Thanks in advance for anyone’s help!

If you can’t find items in a search in DEVONthink To Go, select ? > Help > Appendix > URL Commands > Performing Service Tasks and click the Execute link under reindex. Then quit and relaunch the application.

Okay, sounds good I’ll try that. I did notice, too, that the same issue was repeatable on my iPad with DT2G. Sorry I didn’t mention that earlier – I wasn’t sure if it was applicable. I’ll let you know how the re-index goes.

Also, do I need to keep the phone awake while indexing is happening?

And does the same apply for downloading? Can DT2G perform these kinds of actions in the background on iOS? Or do you need to keep the app open and device awake in order to get these to complete?

Alright I did the re-index on my iPhone, got this confirmation alert, but still the email wouldn’t show up in search:

Oddly enough, searching for the sender works and brings up the given email in the search results – but not the order number contained within the email.

It is a good idea to keep DEVONthink To Go awake and frontmost for either of these operations, and definitely syncing.

Why is this routinely needed?