Searching using aliases

Partial matches while typing and fuzzy matching exclude each other.

I figured as much in my last paragraph :slight_smile:

…and most questions could be quickly answered by simply trying :slight_smile:

Indeed, and I certainly did. :smiley:
I just couldn’t make an authoritative declaration like you can since you know the underlying tech :wink:

But this is still in question…

Without Partial matches while typing : I’m seeing fuzzy matches after type modernisati .

So partial matches is disabled. but the fuzzy match doesn’t appear until a few characters after the variable one - in this case s or z. After typing the t, it picks up the first document with modernization in it. After the ti, it shows both.

There’s a threshold as fuzzy searching is not a prefix search.

1 Like

Thanks for looking into it!

This does seem really weird and confusing, though (and I think the conversation above supports that) - is there any way it can be tweaked somehow, to be more predictable? I’m worried that when I use the search, I’ll miss some results, and so I’m tending to use Houdahspot or Alfred as a sanity check at the moment.

I feel like if someone knows very well how the program works (perhaps the really longtime users here), there might be a logic to it, but it would definitely be confusing to new users. I’m still not quite sure how the fuzzy searching threshold works, and how many characters it kicks in after… And it might be that a lot of users (probably including me) wouldn’t remember that it won’t work until you hit a space after the word (possibly because of the implied wildcard) - and might just be confused (like me!)

You could disable the option to look for partial matches while searching to avoid this.

1 Like