Secure DTPO with sparse bundle disk image?

Hi, I’m trying to use DTPO to take my home office paperless, but the lack of security bothers me. Someone coming into the study is more likely to steal the computer than the filing cabinet, & the files on the computer are a bonus.

I’m not keen on using FileVault because of its inability to back up using Time Machine unless I’m logged out; a huge failure on Apple’s part, I think.

I’m wondering if placing the DTPO database within a password-secured sparse bundle disk image would work. My theory is that being a sparse bundle disk image (instead of a sparse disk image), any changes made to the database would allow backups to be made with Time Machine, Carbon Copy Cloner & Retrospect (yes, I use all three) without having to backup the whole disk image each time a change is made to a small part of the database. Is my theory correct? Is this how a sparse bundle disk image works? Anyone tried this?

Thanks.

Kwan.

Anyone out there able to comment on this?

I am using a backup program that requires encrypted images to be unmounted. I hope that the 8 meg bands means that my backup utility updates only that which has changed.

Since I am going to be completely dependent on this DTPRO and this encryption for everything important on my drive, I have two questions:

1. am I correct in assuming DT 2.0 new file structure will be quite suitable to this kind of encryption/backup since DT data is stored in a normal tree of folders with each document as an individual file.

2. if backup becomes corrupted, is it also safe to assume that data recovery would be easier than a sparse image “if” corruption is isolated to some 8 meg bands and not others

We do recommend using a database stored within an encrypted disk image as a means of providing high-level security.

I can’t comment on your question as to whether backup applications can do incremental backups vs total disk image copy of the unmounted disk image.

Thanks Bill for the swift chime…

I guess I am interested to hear from anyone who has experience with sparse bundle images and the advantages they offer to the DT 2.0 database structure.