See Also and Classify Issue

I have a number of groups that are not showing up in See Also and Classify. I have dragged similar items to it but when I go to another similar item in the inbox, it is still not showing up. Is there anything I can do to fix this?

The group is a subgroup within a database.

I have alreadt verified and repaired as well as optimizing the database.

Have you checked the Tool > Inspectors > Info > Generic: Exclude from to see if they’re excluded from Classification?

That was it. Thank you.

Is there some sort of default setting that is classifying new items as “exclude” or something that will tell me all the folders that are being excluded.

Is there some sort of default setting that is classifying new items as “exclude”

What was the nature of the group that was excluded, e.g., indexed?

or something that will tell me all the folders that are being excluded.

It’s possible to do this via script, if needed but it may not be performant on a large database with a deeply nested hierarchy.

Good timing - I had the same issue this weekend. I don’t doing indexing, so it’s not that. But it’s kind of weird - some groups and subgroups are excluded and some are not - and I never clicked that option for any group or subgroup to be excluded.

Well I feel dumb but at least now I know why classifying wasn’t working all that well.:slight_smile: So after I go down the list of groups/subgroups and correct what is classified and what is not - then do I need to do anything else so the correct classification settings are taken into account and it starts working correctly?

No. Once the exclusion is cleared from the Info inspector, selecting files should show those groups as well.

Just a new group I created. I had a large number of items in my Global Inbox that were from a Devon Agent search and wanted to try to auto classify. Since I unchecked the classification box it is working fine. I was just trying to see how it got excluded in the firsrt place.



Thanks Jim, that’s helpful.

Yeah, Ricky - I agree. In my case, it looks like the subgroups that were excluded was random. So I’m also curious how it got assigned in the first place.

I don’t know if this helps, but I just noticed that it’s really only 1 database that has many excluded subgroups that I didn’t select to be excluded. And it’s my oldest, largest and most frequently used database. My others (so far about 6 I’ve checked) are entirely (or mostly) correct - that is, no group/subgroup selected for excluding - except the inboxes. Which would appear to be the appropriate default settings.

This is likely from DEVONthink 2, at least if you’re indexing files. Indexed groups in DEVONthink 2.x were excluded from classification automatically since items classified to the groups would not move into the Finder folders.
Since the integration in DEVONthink 3 is tighter, this restriction no longer applies automatically.

This database definitely dates back to DT2. But I’ve never used the indexing approach.

Hi, I do step in here. I’ve had the same experience, that with some documents DT3 showed strange classify results - i.e. sorting receipts to the correspondence folder regardless there is a folder for receipts with 10+ nearly identical receipts already in.
Is there any chance to check every file and folder by an applescript to see if there is any file or folder set as “exclude…” ? Until now I didn’t find any excluded folder.
Thanks in advance!

Here is a semi-teaching edition script…

property ignoredGroups : {"Tags", "Inbox", "Trash"} -- If you have renamed the Inbox, it may still be reported below.

tell application id "DNtp"
	set theDatabase to current database
	set excludedList to {}
	set excludedParents to (every parent of theDatabase whose ((exclude from classification is true) and (location does not start with "/Tags")))
	repeat with thisGroup in excludedParents
		if (name of thisGroup) is not in ignoredGroups then
			set recordUUID to reference URL of thisGroup
			copy ("[" & (location of thisGroup & name of thisGroup & "](" & recordUUID & "?reveal=1)  ") & return) to end of excludedList
		end if
	end repeat
	if (count excludedList) > 1 then
		set exclusionDoc to create record with {name:"Excluded Groups in " & (name of theDatabase), type:markdown, content:excludedList as string} in root of theDatabase
		open window for record exclusionDoc
	end if
end tell

And do bear in mind, this will take longer to run on larger databases with more group hierarchies.


Hey @BLUEFROG Many kudos to you. I’ll try it the next days (and try to get into applescript).
Again, thank you very much!

You’re welcome. Cheers!

Works great - thanks Jim!

You’re welcome :slight_smile:

Script worked like a charm, thanks again. Anyhow, had just 3 folders excluded. Doesn’t explain the behaviour. I’ll have to have a deeper look at this, but I’m in the middle of a relocation - so it will take a while. Thanks again!

You’re welcome :slight_smile: