'See Also'—Best Practices

I have a database with snippets from articles, that I am collecting in the hopes that the “see also” feature will uncover some unexpected relationships. It is organized in groups and tags.

Unfortunately, “see also” mostly renders other snippets from the same article.

I have thought of methodically choosing to exclude these snippets from “see also” and then including them again after looking at the “see also” results, but this seems overly complicated.

Any ideas?

A snippet is generally a very small piece of information, focusing on very specific things.

If I had a snippet for everything I did today: worked, drank coffee, worked some more, played guitar, drove around, worked again… the See Also wouldn’t connect my drinking coffee with working. It would connect the three instances I talked about working though.

However, if I had a journal entry covering my day and it included those activities, a later import about the optimal temperature to brew coffee at has a good chance of connecting with my journal entry in See Also. An article on effective guitar practicing techniques would likely connect to it too.

Thank you so much for the reply! I think my problem is that I collect important passages (usually between 50 and 500 words) in an academic article. Since the passages from the same article are more like each other than they are like passages from other articles, I never see those new connections with “see also.”