Sente reference template still not working

Hi
it may be that I am doing something wrong but the Sente reference template is still not working correctly in that the link back to the reference is empty and thus not functional. This is the error message:

Embedded URLs should be of the form "sente:/Library+Name/Citation+Tag".  For example: sente:/My+Library/Smith+2002.  Use plus signs (+) instead of spaces.  Most punctuation will need to be converted into percent-escape sequences.

Incoming URL:
sente:/nameofthelibrary/

Is this problem on the agenda?

Thank you

Could you please send us the Sente library or just the records in question (exported) so that we can check here? Please file it as a bug ticket.

I did now, thanks for getting back to me and let me know if you need more details.

I’m having the same difficulty. Here is link to the message I get in Sente when using the Back Link in the DTPO template for Sente.

Link: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1540915/Screenshots/Devon%20Sente%20Conflict.png

Please send me the exported Sente record or best as a separate mini library so that I can try this myself. The possibilities of Sente are manyfold here and it is so easy to break their URL scheme …

I have sent you an email with the requested sample library. The same error is produced in the test library as with the main Sente Library I use.

Thank you.

Is this problem being worked upon at all?
I am beginning to feel uneasy, it has never worked for me and so far no update if any have addressed this problem at all has improved this situation.

Prion

I have received the database but was 100% engaged into bringing DEVONagent 3.0 pb1 to market. I will start on it as soon as there is a bit of time, very likely even before Christmas.

Found the problem: for some records Sente 6 does not deliver a “Citation Identification”. And so DEVONthink cannot create a link back. The attached updated template does no longer try to link back but adds a note to the created citation instead.

Reference (from Sente 6).templatescriptd.zip (57.7 KB)

Hi Eric

spot on, finally something to explain this mystery. I included the citationID in the main library view and lo and behold noticed that only a very small minority of entries has one. The ones that do work fine with working link backs!

So the ball is definitely with the Sente people, I have just opened a discussion in their forums.
https://sente.tenderapp.com/discussions/problems/6270-missing-citationid-causes-problems

Just to make that clear, I hope I did not come across as continuously nagging for a favourite feature. I was only concerned that a feature announced by you (and apparently working for most people here) might not be stable enough to attain a central position in my workflow, that’s all. But now there seems to be a solution in sight.

Thanks
Prion

An answer in the Sente forums has clarified the situation more (see the link in my previous post for more details). In short, Sente assigns an ID to the references only when another program makes use of that reference and it appears that DTPO and Sente are communicating in ways that do not trigger this citationID creation in Sente.
Perhaps it would be best if the developers of DTPO and Sente could stick their heads together in order to find ways to trigger this response, which seems to be almost ready to use in principle already.

Prion

Ah, interesting insight. I will contact the Sente people directly regarding this. But, actually, it’s a very strange idea to only generate a unique ID when it is requested.

Yes, what puzzles me most is that Sente internally seems to have a unique ID which is not exposed to the user. It is only this human-legible citationID that would suffer if assigned before making sure that the reference importing/editing process is complete.
In addition to my suggestion above (make DTPO trigger the assignment of a Sente citationID) perhaps there is a better (permanent) identifier that DTPO and Sente could exchange to avoid this kind of problem. It would not need to be readable by humans.

I was wondering whether people who use both Sente and DT have found workarounds or have any further information on this situation.

I followed the useful links to relevant threads on the Sente forum, and tried the trick of dragging items to the desktop before attempting to create a Sente reference item in DT, but I find the template still fails to create a backlink. Has anyone found a more certain way to make sure the citation identifier is created in Sente so that it can be imported into DT?

Reliable creation of a backlink would be a lovely touch, but more important for my purposes is the limited information that gets copied over, i.e. just a summary with the bare minimum of reference data to identify the item. I’d love it if I could get the abstract and tags copied over automatically at the same time. Is there any way to configure the template to accomplish this?

Thanks for any help.

I’ve just come across this problem too. I liked the idea of dragging a link to the desktop, and have developed this a little bit further.

I use a Sente Quick Tag for the references I am currently working with. This makes it easier to find the ones I want for my bibliography etc.

1. Create a Rich Text Note in DT.
  2. Select all the references you want to use in Sente. (I have the Quick Tag selected)
  3. Drag Citation Tags {Noddy, 2012] for your references to the DT Rich Text Note.
  4. Save to the database.

That should create links to all the files you need.

Thanks for the tip, DQ. A couple of problems:
Dragging the Citation Tags just creates a sequence of text like this:

with nothing linkable. Do you perhaps mean that we should drag as Sente URLs, which look like this?

Also, sorry for this newbie question coming from a long-time user, but I’ve completely forgotten what to do to use a Sente URL from within DevonThink. Selecting one of them and looking through the contextual menu doesn’t throw up any “follow this link” kind of commands, and I can’t find anything in the forum when searching with “Sente URL”. Can anyone help?