Services menu

Hello everyone - I’m new to the board and very new to Devonthink pro office - already finding it extremely useful, but I have a question I can’t seem to find the answer to. All my Services connections to and from DevonThink are grayed out. Is this because I have DevonThink stored on a different hard drive from my system software? Or am I missing something else?

thanks for any help you can give this rookie user -

Jayne

A requirement of Services is that the application must be stored in the Applications folder on your boot volume.

Also, after installation of a new application Services won’t be available for it until after a logout/login or restart.

If DT Pro Office is in your Applicaitons a logout/login should make the Services available. Note that you should not have two DEVONthink applications in the Applications folder, as that can confuse Services about which one is to receive data.

It’s OK to have your DT Pro Office database on another volume or external drive.

Hi Bill,

I downloaded Firefox 3 the other day as it works better in certain situations than Safari. It is a stupendous browser and I am so impressed that I want to make it my default browser.

The problem, however, is that the Services > DevonThink Pro > Submenu items are all greyed out, and I am unable to “Take Rich Note”, a capability I use constantly, and would find it hard to do without.

I have tried logging in and out to no avail. I have also shut down and restarted the computer, also to no avail.

If you haven’t already tried it, can you try Firefox 3, and let me know if you’re experiencing the same issue. Or can you suggest a remedy to the problem. Or has anyone else here experienced this issue and found a fix? If so, what is it?

I look forward to discovering the answer.

All the best

Rollo

Rollo, the problem is that the developers of Firefox have not made it compatible with OS X Services. Nor have they included much in the way of an AppleScript dictionary.

I’ve got Firefox 3 and use it for a couple of things. But I never try to use it when I’m pulling down material from the Web to DEVONthink Pro, as it’s not good at that kind of interoperability with OS X Cocoa applications. So it’s not my default browser.

You might comment about that to the developers of Firefox.

Here’s the ticket to vote on: bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=135268

[UPDATE]

The patch was submitted to the Firefox trunk (hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/923d927753ce) which currently is for version 3.2.

Either you use the latest nightly or wait until Firefox 3.2 is released.