"Show tags" doesn't work

The “show tags” feature in the view menu doesn’t seem to work for me. I have a PDF document, and if I click on info then it shows 3 tags in the tags section. However, when I select “show tags” in the view menu, the bar at the bottom says “no tags” instead of listing the 3 tags.

Is this a bug or am I missing something? Thanks!

Please post a screencapture of what you’re seeing.

Here you go:

i63.tinypic.com/1qo3s6.png

It appears that you are using the split view. The actual selection in the window that applies to the Tag Bar at the bottom of the pane is the selected group, which is all but completely off-screen in your image (see pictured below). You can still select documents contained in the selected group, and view their properties with the Info pane, but the selection for purposes of the Tag Bar is still the group. You can also click the disclosure triangle for the selected group in the Split view, and click on documents (e.g. Build Your Ow…) and the tags for that document will appear in the Tag Bar.
Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 8.13.44 AM.png

It is a little odd, when you think about it, that in Split View or Column View one can select a document in the right panel (or the bottom panel if Widescreen is off in Split View) and not see the tags in the tag bar, but we can see that document’s tags in Three Pane in a similarly-configured arrangement.

And, in Split or Column view if we turn on Cover Flow then we can select a document in the cover flow panel and see the tags for that document.

The views’ handling of tags for the selected item are inconsistent.

The Three Pane view has it’s own anomaly-if you click on a document you see the document’s tags in the Tag Bar, but if you click back on the containing Group’s icon in the list to make it again the active element, the Tag Bar still contains the tags from the document.

The general rule that brings order to these anomalies seems to be that the Tags bar displays tags only if the focus is on a document preview. The cases where this is true are Columns, Split, Three Panes views, with previews in either Cover Flow or single-document mode. The Tags bar is actually part of the preview panel and is activated for data display and data entry (tagging, removing tags) when a document has the focus, otherwise the bar is shown but not activated for view or data entry.

We cannot edit file attributes in any icon views. But we can double click the viewed file in an icon view, or right-click and open in a tab, and edit tags and other editable attributes (including Text).