Sichern-Dialoge auf dem Mac frieren immer ein

However how do I prevent the finder tags being imported back from my TimeMachine backups – or will that not happen by default?

That is not possible, or at least beyond the scope of our support. That would be an Apple question.

Thank you – and what do you say in regards to the problem detected?

What “problem detected” are you referring to?

Is that a bug or a feature?

Some people use tags and like the feeds’ categories and hashtags to be converted to tags in DEVONthink.

70,000 would be a large number, but I know nothing of your databases’ structure and the number of feeds you have to say whether this is abnormal.

But at least this number of tags presumably freezes the finder in save and open dialogues.

I cannot account for that since I don’t have 70,000 tags on any machine. If this is accurate, it would actually be an Apple issue - the Finder stalling.

When the Finder is stalled, do a Spotlight search for Activity Monitor . Select it in the list of processes - it should show “(Not Responding)” and the name in red - and press Command-Option-S to run a sample on it. When the sample window opens, press the Save button and save it to your Desktop. Hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket and attach this text file.

You are a funny guy! Sorry but I suffered enough through the bug in your software. Now you know about it! I recommend working this RSS function over – and inform Apple to implement a tag limit to the finder.
I’m now down to 550 tags and the finder works again ok. The remaining 550 tags cannot be deleted the usual way. If you have an idea this is much appreciated. Beside maybe you should just say “Thank you” at least.

There’s a hidden preference in the appendix of the help to disable im/exporting of Finder tags. But how many RSS feeds does your database actually contain? 70000 tags is a really huge number.

Please elaborate.
I have around 300 feeds in the database – around 150 maybe are still active. I was now able to delete nearly all tags in the finder – only 50 with special characters like for instance “Nicola “Ókin” Frioli photography” remain. I was just on the phone with the Apple support and we found out that these I can only delete through DT – just deleting the RSS entry.
With having the database in DT 2.11 on another Mac the entries will be copied back to iCloud I guess?

See Help > DEVONthink 3 Help, then navigate to Documentation > Appendix > Hidden Preferences. It’s the hidden preference “DisableFinderTags”.

Are the tags inside DEVONthink still desired? Deleting them in DEVONthink would be the easiest fix. In addition, 70.000 tags might of course slow down certain operations in DEVONthink too.

Please confirm whether this true.
For the moment I will leave the tags inside DT. If I have problems with these later on I can still delete them.

Do you mean the synchronization via iCloud? What exactly should be copied back to iCloud when?

I’m deleting the RSS entries with the otherwise not deletable tags.

Any change like deleting RSS entries should be synchronized to other Macs via the sync locations specified in Preferences > RSS. Another possibility might a small script to remove the tags of the selected RSS entries instead of deleting them.

But if the databases are different on two Macs – are these not merged on iCloud?

The changes should be synchronized (via iCloud if that’s the sync location used by you)

This indeed seems to be a good idea. How to proceed?

Additionally is there a way to strip the RSS entries of their respective tags upon arrival? This way the problem will never arise again.

Thank you.

A simple script looks like this:

tell application id "DNtp"
	set theSelection to the selection
	repeat with theRecord in theSelection
		set tags of theRecord to {}
	end repeat
end tell

Just disable the option to convert categories to tags, see Preferences > RSS.

So I need to select RSS entries first – and then run the script in Terminal?