Simple Popclip Snippet Extension for Devonthink Annotation/Insert Quote

You need to have the DT3 Annotations pane open when you activate the DQ Popclip extension

The concept of the extension is “awesome and super convenient.” Nothing happens when I click the extension button in PopClip. @rkaplan I do have it open. I tried your original and the one that highlights and creates annotation (which would be the one I prefer). Perhaps it’s something to do with Sonoma?

It works fine on Sonoma

You do have to set up an App Specific Keyboard Shortcut in MacOS

Hmmm… I set up the keyboard shortcut and that works fine. But still, when I click the DQ icon on the PopClip bar after highlighting some text, still nothing happens.

Odd - there are two versions of the Popclip extension in this thread - they both work fine for me (one highlights and annotates; the other just annotates).

Does it work for anyone else?

Maybe ask in the Popclip Forum?

This is what it looks like for me

I’m going to restart my machine and see if that does anything. Will report back.

After looking at your code, I see where the first mistake was: I used a different key combo for Insert Quote. When I changed it to match yours, the extension works. However, I highlighted the code for the one that does the highlighting as well, and while it does insert the quotation into the annotation, it does not highlight anything. So I’m still missing something…

What version of Popclip are you using? I am using the current version which is 2023.9

Two more things to try:

(1) Is DT3 set up for you to have a shortcut of Shift-Command-L for Format-Highlight?

(2) This is an alternate version of the highlight snippet which might work for you:

# popclip
name: Devonthink Quotes
icon: square DQ
key combos: [command shift L, control command shift Q]
required apps: [com.devon-technologies.think3]

Ah hah! I tried this last one you posted and it still didn’t work, and I noticed cmd-shift-L was marking docs as Flagged. It turns out my DT Keyboard Maestro macro group was hijacking that shortcut. I disabled it, and now the extension works like a charm. Your help is much appreciated!

1 Like

For those who may be interested - this version automatically opens the Annotations inspector in addition to adding the annotation and creating the highlight:

# popclip
    name: Devonthink Quotes
    icon: square DQ
    key combos: [control 1, control 3, command shift L, control command shift Q]
    required apps: [com.devon-technologies.think3]
2 Likes

Works great. I usually have the inspector panel open but went ahead and installed this one anyway, just in case.

So just now I was highlighting away with the Popclip extension and bizarre behavior randomly started happening: now, when I click the extension button, the highlight disappears from the PDF and the text that goes to the annotation file is underlined. I have to re-highlight the text again in the PDF and then remove the underlining from the annotation from itself. It’s odd because it was working perfectly 10 minutes ago! I noticed it after hitting cmd-Z a few times to undo stuff. I tried re-installing the extension but same behavior. Any thoughts?

And it is now back to working as normal. Odd.