Simple Question re Migrating to New M1 Macbook and DT3

Ok so I bought a Macbook Pro M1 and am finally going to upgrade to DT3. What is the best way to move the DTPO data bases on my old Macbook Pro into DT3 on my new M1 machine?

As per some prior threads, I tried moving them via an external hard drive, but they were grayed out and wouldn’t copy over – similarly when I tried via icloud.

Do I need to buy DT3 before importing the databases from my old machine, or can I move them into the trial version? I currently have the trial of DT3 on the new computer and DTPO on the old one.

I’m doing a clean install ie w/o the Mac migration assistant as I don’t want to import cruft onto my new machine.

Thanks as always - JM

You just need to get the database files onto the new Mac and open them in that Mac’s copy of DevonThink, paid or trial version. I don’t know why you were having issues copying the files previously with your external. Maybe try transferring them with Airdrop?

1 Like

Do I need to buy DT3 before importing the databases from my old machine, or can I move them into the trial version?

No.

I tried moving them via an external hard drive, but they were grayed out and wouldn’t copy over

They were grayed out where?

Grayed out in the finder window for both icloud and external drive folders… thus my inability to move them onto the new mac… Thanks — JM

Please hold the Option key and choose Help > Report Bug. Include screen captures or a screencast of the issue. thanks!

Ok I succeeded in transferring the data base files via airdrop. None of the contents of the global inbox seem to have copied over, however. The database inboxes did carry over. Is this an issue anyone has seen before?

I checked to make sure the global inbox files didn’t go into other folders. A casual inspection seems to indicate everything else carried over and is in place, but I haven’t done a complete comparison.

Thoughts? Thanks - JM

The database inboxes are parts of the databases. So when you move or copy a database its respective inbox gets moved with it.

The Global Inbox on the other hand is a database itself, located in DEVONthink’s application folder.

One way to get the content from the Global Inbox on the old machine into the Global Inbox of the new one would be syncing both.

Another way would be to create an interim database on the old machine, move (or copy) the content from the Global Inbox into it and move the interim database like all other databases by AirDrop to the new machine. Where you could open the interim database and transfer its content into the new Global Inbox.

I can’t say with certainty that transferring the GB database directly by AirDrop would cause no harm (DEVONthink for sure must not be running on either device while doing so), especially between different versions of DT. But others here can and most certainly will.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this. I’ll try as you suggest. And yes, I take nothing for granted, with Air Drop or any other file transfer mech. Appreciate your help. Best — JM