Slow markdown rendering

Mine’s taking at least 10 seconds

I posted several days ago about extremely slow loading of markdown files in DTTG3. I continue to have the same issue. since my last post I have tried the following:

1. Uninstall the app, restart iPad (2020), reinstall app
  2. After reinstalling, there is also a subset of my files that always auto-magically appear in the app regardless of whether I instruct the install to not (or to) look for and sync data from DTTG2 installed on the device. Odd.
  3. Reboot iPad after successful install.
  4. Same issue, slow loading. Some markdown files load after 10-15 seconds; some never load.
  5. I have also tried manually deleting all data stored in the freshly installed DTTG3 so as to remove any remnant of archived files.
  6. After all files are removed I select a syncing option and have, of late, tried the iCloud kit option to sync all files into DTTG3. All files are retrieved and sync’ed. I have even selected “Automatic” download of all files so rendering/retrieving is in real time on the iPad and not retrieved from the cloud or other location—all stored locally.
  7. Same problem, slow loading markdown files. PDFs and other file formats are fine and load fine.

This issue is very concerning and leaves me with no option but to continue to use DTTG2 which continues to motor along flawlessly. DTTG is a central agent in managing my archive of files. I count on it to run smoothly and reliably for the few tasks I lean on it to perform. DTTG3 is not providing that level of service for me at the moment. I am hopeful it is a resolvable issue and maybe my issue is a sign of an early bug that needs to be squashed to get things running capably in the latest version. I am more than happy to coordinate with DT support. To that end I will gladly provide screenshots and screen recordings of this issue. Please let me know if that would assist with resolving my (and it appears) other’s issues with this problem in DTTG3.

We can’t reproduce any issue here so far.
You can hold the Option key and choose Help > Report bug to start a support ticket and attach a screencast.

Thank you. Will do. Are the directions to report a bug that you provided to be done within the iOS app?

You can select ? > Contact Us in DEVONthink To Go instead.

Excellent and done. Thank you!

Like others, I am experiencing slow markdown rendering. The bigger the file size, the longer it takes to appear - in my case, even 30 seconds to over a minute. I know the data is there, because even before I see anything, when I click on “edit”, the text immediately appears in the edit window, and when I use the iOS share function, I can immediately share and open these files in other apps to view them - but the whole point is I want to view most of these files in DEVONthink To Go. I do not have this problem with PDFs and plain text files, those appear immediately.

Welcome @aquavelva

What OS are you running?

FYI, issue continues in 3.0.3.

Check the release notes. This wasn’t addressed in the 3,0.3 release. We are still investigating the issue.

Ah thanks I came here looking to see if others are having the same problem. Never had it in DTTG v2 but since v3 I’ve noticed severe delays on preview/renderings. Way longer than 10s (seems like it at least!). I didn’t catch it was only MD files though until reading this thread. I do generally clip (e.g. from Safari) into MD format so maybe I’m seeing the same behavior you folks are. Glad to know it’s being looked at.

No problem and yep, we’re looking into potential causes. Thanks for your patience and understanding.

1 Like

Apologies for the delayed response. 14.4.1 on both iPad and iPhone. Using DTTG 3.0.4 right now. I have not systematically compared, but problems seems similar on both devices.

An important update is that at least some recently clipped files no longer have this problem (specifically those clipped on MacBook Pro, where for some websites I use Drafts to clip the page title and link, and then manually paste in all the web page text into that Drafts note, and then use a Drafts “action” to send Markdown file to Devonthink Office Pro - actually easy to do and necessary for some websites that do not allow me to use the Devonthink clip to uncluttered Markdown sharing service). However, for websites that do work with the Devonthink clipping service, I did an experiment on my MacBook and created two Markdown documents on my MacBook. It seems that the Markdown created with Devonthink “uncluttered Markdown” option still opens slowly once it gets synced into DTTG, whereas the similar Markdown document created with Drafts opens with no problem in DTTG.

Do you have a URL we can test?

It says you cannot post links in this forum, but you can Google these random articles and hopefully access a free version if you are not a subscriber:

New York Times website, article “The Pandemic and the Future City Lessons from Alexander Hamilton and the book trade”, by Paul Krugman (using Safari browser: Markdown file made on Macbook using Drafts takes 2-3 seconds to display in DTTG; Markdown file made on Macbook using DT Pro clipping service takes about 45 seconds to display in DTTG on iPad)

The New Yorker, article titled “Why Learning Pods Might Outlast the Pandemic”, By Lizzie Widdicombe (using Safari browser: Markdown file made on Macbook using Drafts takes 2-3 seconds to display in DTTG; Markdown file made on Macbook using DT Pro clipping service takes about 30 seconds to display in DTTG)