Smart Group Rule

It is possible to create a smart group with a condition for a date field to be relative (yesterday, today, etc.), but that is only possible for is/isn’t conditions.

Currently I am setting a flag to those documents that I don’t want (or want) to appear in the group (i.e. their custom date is less than today), but it is not that smart.

As workaround I was thinking to create an automation to set that flag or use the “not within last” condition with 9999999. The latter has the disengage that the text field only shows 3 digits. But both are just workarounds and I am not a fan of either.

Anyone else has found a better solution or know if there are plans to extend relative dates to the “greater/lower than” conditions?

Hey, welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
My head’s going round in circles (which may be due to a head cold); having read and re-read your post, I’m not sure I know what you are aiming to do. Could you perhaps post a specific example of the condition(s) you want the smart group to adhere to?

Because, say you want the group to show documents whose custom date is less than today; then you’d use three conditions, and the “All” qualifier:

• custom date is within last 99999 days
  • custom date is not today
  • kind is any document

That’s assuming the custom date could also be later than today; otherwise the smart group would only need the custom date is not today condition.

There would be no need to set a flag, because smart groups allow you to use within/not within last x days.

This smart group will include all documents with a custom date “Erstellt” prior to last week, and going back 99999 days:

@cgrunenberg the OP is right in mentioning that the days field is barely three digits wide - it does accept more than 3 digits though. Perhaps when there’s nothing else going on, you could expand the text entry (both with the window focused and not focused).

Fixed in the next release.

2 Likes

Hi Blanc,

Thank you for your time and your reply.
In my case I want to list all the documents that are “still valid”, i.e. that have a custom date in the future. Think about articles to be published in a coming issue. We can review those articles up to the cut date, after that date I don’t want to see those documents because there is no point to update them.
Thinking about that I would be fine with an additional “past” and “future” options for the date (in the same combo box of This/Last week . So I could set the rule to be “is in the future”
“Custom date” - “is in the” - “future”

Is it more clear now?

@cgrunenberg thank you for the quick fix

Hey, thanks for the explanation.

So you could use a smart group which does “custom date not within last 99999 days”; that way any document with a future custom date will be included, any with a past custom date will not.

1 Like