Smart Groups don't update in some situations

A screenshot of the smart group would be useful. In addition, is it a global smart group? Or one in a database?

Sorry for the delay. I thought I posted this already. A screenshot is below. I doesn’t update unless I open the settings and click ok, and then, sometimes AFTER updating, I will go back to the smart group and find it has reverted to the state it was in previously (before updating). It is happening in my database smart groups and not global smart groups (I don’t have any global smart groups).

Thanks in advance.

Which view (e.g. list, icon etc.) do you use for these smart groups? And after which action is the smart group not updated as expected?

I use list view. They don’t update when I click on the smart group after changing something that should appear in the smart group. For example, I change the label of something so that it now meets the criteria of the smart group, then I click on the smart group - the item will not be there in the smart group. I have to open the smart group settings and click ok - then the new item will show up in the smart group if I click on it. In previous versions of DT3, I never had to go through settings. The smart groups always updated immediately when I changed item properties.

The next maintenance release should fix this.

My problem is related but doesn’t depend on tags to trigger an update to a smart group. I apologize if there is another thread discussing my issue but I couldn’t find one.

I am running 3.5 which I assume is after the maintenance release you reference here and am currently experiencing the following problem.

I have a group where I deposit all of my receipts. Those receipts use the created date as a receipt date and I can parse documents in this group using that date with a series of time-based (local) smart groups.

screenshot 2

For example this smart group shows me Receipts from January.

screenshot

The problem is that the smart groups don’t automatically update as I would expect when I add a new receipt to the group. The only way that I have found to force the update is to edit the smart group and hit ok. The newly added receipt then always shows up in the smart group.

Is this a global smart group or a local one inside a database?

It’s a local smart group inside one of my databases.

Which view does this smart group use?

How do you exactly add the new receipts?

I drag them from one group where they are created to my “bucket” group that is being analyzed by the time-based smart groups.

However, the problem isn’t happening today - so I need to see if I can come up with a repeatable scenario. It had been consistently not updating for some time prior to today.

The only change on my end was to rebuild all my databases over the weekend based on a separate thread with support.

I have also run into this problem (3.0.4), or something very similar - items that do turn up in a smart folder turn into ghosts when they are sent to the Trash. A script still sees “something”, but cannot get any meta from it.
Has this been mended in 3.5.1?

I would highly suggest to install the update, it fixes many issues and includes also lots of improvements.

@cgrunenberg I have a series of screenshots showing the problem. I don’t want to bore everyone else with this minutiae - what is the best way to get it to you.

Open a support ticket and I’ll forward it to him.

ticket #978864

I’v updated to 3.5.1, and have not seen the ghosting problem since (knock wood).
But smart groups still don’t update immediately. Restarting DT makes them update, and I’m still trying to figure out how to make them update reproducibly without restarting.

I am also having this problem again with smart groups not updating. It seemed to go away and then came back with the latest update. I have to edit the smart group and hit ok before it will update. This is true for all of my smart groups that look for all items added to a group within the last day for example. When I click on them after not having opened them for several days, they are still populated with the list from the last time I opened them (i.e, with items added several days ago). I have to edit the smart groups and hit ok.

Are you able to reproduce this by performing certain steps? Then a screenshot of the smart group’s settings plus a screenshot of the main window would be great, thanks.

This has just happened to me again, too; I sent a document to DT by printing it to PDF to DT. I then classified it by clicking Move To above “See also & classify”. I then immediately selected the smart group in which the document should have been listed; it wasn’t. I then option-clicked the smart rule, closed it again with “ok”, and there the document was…

The smart rule is as follows:

This smart group should actually only return items that were created in 2019. But the creation date of printed PDFs should actually be the current one.