Smart Groups & Sidebar - A Few Small Feature Requests

I really like using the Sidebar’s Navigation section, and I just have a couple of really minor suggestions that I think would make the DT3 user experience even better:

1 - Favorites & Global Smart Groups - When it comes to Favorites, I wish we could add global Smart Groups to the list. I have a couple of great global smart groups that I use all the time, and I’d love to see them up at the top of the sidebar in the Favorites section. Also, if we can add database-specific smart groups to Favorites, why not the global ones?

2 - Labels & Global Smart Groups - I wish we could add labels to global smart groups. I have some vision-related problems, so I like using labels to help quickly spot important items. I especially like how the labels in DT3 also show up in the sidebar - making things easy to see/find in the sidebar. I’ve been using emojis in the smart groups’ names, but this has always struck me as odd (and they get cut off when located at the end of the global smart group’s title whereas labels do not). Being able to label global smart groups also seems important when users are not able to add global smart groups to the sidebar’s Favorites section (see 1).

3 - Icons & Global Smart Groups - Personally, I don’t think I would use this feature very often, but it would be nice to have the option to change the icon for global smart groups. DT3 allows users to do this for normal groups in databases, why not global smart groups, too? It offers another nice way for users to be able to visually locate the particular global smart group they want (see also 1 and 2).

As always, thanks for listening. DT3 is great!!

Also, if we can add database-specific smart groups to Favorites, why not the global ones?

Because they’re already available in the Navigate sidebar.
Local smart groups can be easily hidden in the hierarchies of a database.

I can see potentially coloring the smart groups / rules icons but I’m not so sure about changing icons, but changing colors would rely on the addition of color controls in the Navigate sidebar.

Yeah, I stumbled across your view of this requested feature when I was searching the forum to figure out why I couldn’t favorite a global smart group. However, I have to respectfully disagree that merely being located in the sidebar is equivalent to being located in the Favorites section of the sidebar.

From a UX perspective, the upper left quadrant of the sidebar is prime real estate! Allowing users to favorite global smart groups will improve their visibility and increase use! I promise :wink:

Development our our UI/UX person would have to assess this.

1 Like

From a UX perspective, the upper left quadrant of the sidebar is prime real estate! Allowing users to favorite global smart groups will improve their visibility and increase use! I promise :wink:

I will second jasondm007’s comment and request

Thanks!

Tim

1 Like

I might add one additional request.

4 - Drag/Drop Smart Groups from Global -> Local - I just updated to DT3. In my ignorance, I dragged two local Smart Groups to the Global section and then deleted them from the local location. Now, I cannot drag them back or copy+paste them back. I realize this is a “one time and never again” type of mistake. In any case, I’d still like to have a safety net.

JJW