Smart groups using arbitrary years?

Hello.

I’m slowly harnessing the different organization features of DevonTHINK Pro, and I’m currently creating some Smart Groups.

In this particular case, I have a folder filled with lecture slides dating back a few years. I want to create Smart Groups with the sole criterion being the year of creation - basically, I want to create 3 date-based Smart Groups: 2016, 2017, 2018.

I’ve found two somewhat inelegant solutions, but it works.

1: Tags. Use the year of creation as tags and assign them to the lecture files.

2: Smart Group with two criteria: Date created is less than or equal to Dec. 31, 2018 / Date created is greater than or equal to Jan. 1, 2018, and then duplicate and change the years.

Is there a more efficient way than what I’ve found so far? There is “Date created is…”, but the additional options are relative (today, this year, etc.) rather than absolute.

The second solution is probably the best one, you just have to set up the smart groups contrary to the first solution which requires thorough tagging.

I don’t see anything inelegant about your suggestions. I personally say to Tag with the year and any other tag that gives the file context, like 2016 and lecture. This would be a fairly trivial thing to do.
Then I’d create a Smart group searching for those two Tags, and duplicate the smart group and adjust the year for the other years’ smart groups.