Smart Rule does not work on import. Objective: to automatically add to reading list items with the AddToReadingList Tag on tagging or on import

Blanc is very smart.
Would you have a workaround in the meantime, considering the fact that once inside DevonThink, if I run the rule it works ?
I am just asking because I frequently add pdfs with the intention of adding them to the reading list.
thank you Christian

You could use a smart rule which rather than looking for a tag checks to see whether the name of the record begins with “@RL” for example; the same rule could then change the name to remove the trigger.

thanks very much for thinking about it and your proposed solution.

My smart rule as I tried to follow your suggestions

Regex must be wrong because name is changed from @RLname to an item named “/@RL[\s]/gi.pdf”
On the positive side, it is added to the reading list, so it was a great idea.

A general question about smart rules: how do you change the order of the actions without having to retype them ? Drag and drop does not seem to work.

The easiest workaround is to perform the smart rule regularly too, e.g. every minute or hour.

I implemented Blanc’s solution which seems to work very well, if only I could get the regex to work.

I think that works…

So when you add the record via the sorter, simply rename it in the sorter, adding @RL at the start. The rule above should detect those records (obviously change it to on import and add whatever else the rule needs to do) and remove @RL from the name.

sorry, one last question and i will leave you in peace.
@RL prefix is not being deleted.
Is it
@RLname or @RL name or @RL.name ?
thank you and sorry again !

The rule I showed changes “@RLthis is your document name” to “this is your document name” in my tests. That is regardless of what comes after “@RL”. If it doesn’t work for you, please post the exact rule you are using, so I can try to reproduce the issue :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK, before I exhaust you and @cgrunenberg, I will simply state the facts and we can leave it at that until the next version. I do not want to ruin your day in frustration.

Please only read this email with the idea of asking yourselves if the bug is in DevonThink.

Since all my rules (starting with the tag) work well within DevonThink, I will stick to applying the rule from within DevonThink. I will see if there is an AppleScript to do so, just to avoid slowing down my workflow.

If you look at my rule below:

• the actions are performed on import or trigger, not demand. The objective of switching from tags to prefix is precisely to work around the import “bug” we encountered with tags. Otherwise, I copied your rule.
  • My rule works perfectly (thanks to you) when it is triggered from within DevonThink. On import, the file is added to the reading list, but the prefix is not deleted which is why I was questioning the regular expression. So it’s once again an import problem I think, but this time has nothing to do with tags.

thanks again very very much !.

It’s actually the same issue, the title entered in the group selector is set after applying smart rules. Therefore a scheduled smart rule as suggested would be still the best workaround for now.

Fine thank you. You are very patient !

2 Likes

ah well :see_no_evil:

We should probably listen to Criss :grin:

:arrows_counterclockwise: click me

2 Likes