Smart Rule to Rename Based on Contents

Ah ok, got it. Takes some time but yes you can use the placeholder “Title” instead of scanning text and use Document String as placeholder. Thanks for clarify this to me.

But again what is wrong with enabling IndexRawMarkdownSource? Is there any reason why not using it? Just for my personal knowledge.

There’s nothing wrong with it. In fact DEVONthink used to index the raw Markdown source for most of the time. However, at some point this was changed because of requests of users who were looking for “better” search results (by ignoring the raw Markdown source) and probably also due to the fact that Markdown was the only file format whose source was indexed (instead of the rendered view). The hidden preference was added afterwards because other users (me included) relied on the Markdown source being indexed. So if you use this hidden preference you’ll get exactly what DEVONthink did before this change.

1 Like

Perfekt, thank you @pete31 for this detailed answer.

1 Like

Note: I was informed by @cgrunenberg the hidden preference will not be used by the Scan Text function. The smart rule action is searching the rendered content on demand, not using the database’s index. Testing indeed bears this out.

So a script would need to be used if you have arbitrary MultiMarkdown metadata, e.g., Bassist: Michael Manring.

1 Like

Thx. @BLUEFROG @cgrunenberg

You’re welcome :slight_smile: