Smart Rules and applying them

Hi Stephen thanks again for your message. Yes, you are right it would be much easier to rely on the search function which is of course excellent. However, I like a bit of a challenge ! I am retired and getting on for 80 so no work pressures and this stuff is just a hobby, I can take time to ‘play’ with DT and it keeps my brain active. So all this smart rule stuff is just for interest and I enjoy it.
By the way, I am in Lockerbie in Scotland whereabouts in the UK are you ?
Dorothy

Hi @Blanc thanks for latest message.
I’ll get started having a play with your ideas. I’ll change the name of the M&S rule so that it reads like text to avoid that possible glitch !
I’ll go through the other rules to check there are no cancels in there.
I’ll move the first file to the top followed by Marks and Spencers and see what happens.
@Stephen_C 's input is spot on ! This would all be easier if I just used the search version but being me I want to be able to say Ive automated the process !! Ive explained in my reply to him. This is such a great place for kind and friendly help. Whereabouts I the world are you ? I think you are on the go too early to be in the US !
Dorothy

2 Likes

Dorothy, I hugely admire you for getting to grips with DT and enjoying the challenge. I’m the same and have really enjoyed working with the program (although I’m a little younger than you!). It’s good to keep our minds active.

London usually - but currently for a few days in rather wet Berwick-upon-Tweed!

Stephen

2 Likes

This kind of stufff = :heart: :heart: :heart:
:smiling_face:

4 Likes

Without doubt, in my experience, the nicest and most supportive forum I’ve yet discovered.

Stephen

3 Likes

Not too far away then at the moment. Nice place though even when it’s wet !!

@BLUEFROG Hope that doesn’t mean I’m in trouble for chatting too much !
Dorothy

1 Like

Ok I’ve had a bit of a play ! Still can’t get it to run automatically. Had to start both rules manually again. the script must be ok but there must be something in my set up preventing it from starting.
I found one cancel and took it out. Changed them all the on import and renamed M&S.
I’ll try it out with a different receipt.

Of course not! I wouldn’t send hearts and a blushing emoji otherwise.

The discussion - the entirety of it - is just another example of the light, relaxed, and helpful atmosphere we cherish and strive to maintain in here.

3 Likes

Thanks @BLUEFROG that’s a relief thought maybe I was breaking the ‘smart rules’ !! Just wish mine would work but @Blanc is taking good care of me !
Dorothy

Partial success ! Tried with a different receipt and at least got a pdf !! so part 1 worked. I don’t know why because there was no difference in the rules.
Break time to make dinner and catch up on latest Pandemic news !

I’ve now managed 3 automatic pdf’s from imported e-mails so that is progress. So I think there must be something in my smart rules stopping the next step from working.
Each of the specific smart rules has a 1 in its title so the rule knows it has a pdf to file. That is happening all the way down the list so not just in the top slot so that’s good too.
I might shut down DT and start it up again just in case that helps !

Do all those rules have the on import trigger? If so, please could you post one?

Re M&S: sorry, I did not make myself clear: it is not the title of the rule, but the search term in the rule which may (or may not) profit from being put in inverted commas.

1 Like

Shutting down didn’t cure anything in fact it only converted 2 out of 3 .eml to pdf when I started up again.
Screenshot of the smart rule and the script as it is in the rule.
Image 06-07-2021 at 9.13 pm

Image 06-07-2021 at 9.14 pm
Hope that helps !

Hi Dorothy, I’m following this thread with interest, but way behind you :slight_smile: How do you insert Sortable Date? I can’t find it in the list of Insert Placeholder fields?

Hi there, glad you’re finding this interesting !
I’ll attach a screen shot to try and help. Go to the insert placeholder and scroll down to the dates section. Choose any of the options and from the list that comes up just click on the particular format you want I chose 2021-07-07 and it puts it into the field. Hope that helps
Image 07-07-2021 at 4.42 pm

Thanks Dorothy, I was looking for a field with that name :slight_smile:

1 Like

Glad I could help !! You made me wonder how I did it as I had forgotten !

All seems to work :slight_smile: BTW do you get a notification? I don’t…

No Craig I don’t get one either ! Not sure where it’s supposed to appear :thinking: