Smart Rules do not work

Just DL’d the 30-day trial. I tried a simple “on demand” renaming rule, and the rule finds matching target documents, but nothing happens when I “apply rule.”
After playing with it, I tried something that I thought would be bulletproof: Find a matching filename, and bounce the dock icon. Nothing happens. What am I missing?

The first of your actions is Cancel. Which does exactly what it says.

Get rid of it and just use Bounce Dock Icon.

Thanks for pointing that out. I have removed “Cancel” (why does the app automatically put that in a new rule?), but it still does not work.

I tried it and can confirm it. It seems Bounce does not work with On Demand.

I can’t tell if this behaviour is intended but I can tell you that another simple action like Play Sound does work.

Cancel is in every new rule because there must be aome action (even if it means no action) to have the action drop down list available.

Play Sound did work. Display Notification did not.
I changed my renaming rule, taking out the “Cancel” command; and it worked! Thanks so much.

Some actions only work if DEVONthink is not the active app, i.e. they can’t be used with “On Demand”. Couldn’t find the post though.

You can test whether a Smart Rule action can be used with trigger On Demand by calling the Smart Rule via AppleScript from Script Editor.app.

tell application id "DNtp"
	try
		perform smart rule name "Name of your Smart Rule"

on error error_message number error_number
		if the error_number is not -128 then display alert "DEVONthink" message error_message as warning
		return
	end try
end tell

I wondered why the action Bounce Dock Icon didn’t work although DEVONthink wasn’t the active app. Turned out that at some point I must have found bouncing dock icons so annoying that I permanently disabled them. Don’t know whether that’s still possible in Catalina and above. How to Permanently Stop Dock Icons from Bouncing

Thanks for the script. My dock icons do bounce, however.