Smart Search "Folder Is" or "Folder Is Not-"

I’m trying to create a Smart Search which searches some folders, but not others. I couldn’t find a"Folder Is" or “Folder Is not” option. So I tried tagging or labelling the folders, but there are so many nested folders below them that did not inherit the tag or label, that didn’t work either.

How can I do this? Thanks in advance …

There isn’t such a criterion available for this.

• An option would be to set the groups to Exclude from Search in the Info inspector, but bear in mind that will affect all searches, not just the smart group.

• Or you could sort the smart group’s results by Location and ignore those in the specific groups.

• And you could tag a group and enable File > Database Properties > Inherit Tags of Groups and set the smart group to ignore the specific tag.

Thanks Bluefrog. I’ve been sorting by location, which is okay. The other two choices are problematic: I don’t want to exclude groups from searches (for obvious reasons) … and if I allow groups to inherit tags, then every item gets a tag, even the ones I haven’t specifically tagged, and that’s what I’m looking for.

and that’s what I’m looking for.

?
What is what you’re looking for ?

Sorry. Syntax not clear. The items not specifically tagged are what I’m looking for.

If you’re just looking for untagged items use Item is not Tagged.

This gets back to my original problem. I’m trying to exclude a particular folder from the “Item is untagged” search. That’;s why I’m looking to ad “Folder Is Not …” to the search criteria.

This is a terribly simplistic reply and I appreciate it may not work for you. However, it occurs to me that one solution would in fact be to give to the items in the folder you don’t want to search a unique tag so that you can then search for something like Tag is not Untagged and Item is not Tagged.

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Yes, that’s what I’ve done. It’s a bit cumbersome (because of nested folders) but in the end the most straight-forward.

Thanks,

R. Barre