So much discrepancies between DT3 and DTTG: how do you manage it?

Greetings,
because I work mostly on the go with my iPad, I make an extensive use of DTTG as well as DT3, and it creates lot of friction since DTTG lacks many features of DT3.

How do you manage this situation?

1. I work a lot with academic papers, so I download the PDF of the research in DT3 and fill out custom metadata such as DOI, Authors, Citation, etc…
    But when I’m on the go I can’t work on such data since I can’t find it in DTTG.

I can extract such metadata on a separate file, but it’s very tricky since I need to wait until the evening and I have to “remember” which PDF I’ve processed along the day.
Furthermore…I’d like to end up my work by dinner… :wink:

1. Smart groups: I suppose they’re not supported in DTTG, is it?
    How do you manage such missing?

I ask it because the more I test DT, the more I doubt it would ease my workflow (because of the big role of the mobile version in my workflow).

It’s easy for me. I rely on DEVONthink ToGo mainly for reading documents, taking notes, etc. and then count on what I did to get synced. I don’t try to “bend it to my will”, but I do try out new things as I discover the possibilities. I rely on DEVONthink on a real computer for the real work. I don’t try to make DEVONthink ToGo behave exactly like DEVONthink as it just won’t. IOS is not the same as MacOS.

If you are so mobile-based, then yes, this might be too much friction. Or perhaps invest in more-mobile real computer?

2 Likes

We are used to use an iPad as a real computer, but it is not, does not import what Apple says. It is a limited tablet with an extremely limited operative system, good to consume stuff but bad for creation and serious work.

I do more or less the same: I “consume” DT stuff in DTTG but rely in DT for real and heavy work. The only exception is if I must annotate a PDF in DT, I do it in PDF Expert into macOS or take DTTG because annotating using native Apple PDF framework is a candidate to disaster.

What I use to do is have near me one of my Macs and one of my iPads and do the task in what device excels for that task.

5 Likes

I used to push the envelope with an iPad-centered workflow—I wrote much of my dissertation on it when Pages didn’t even have footnotes, Scrivener lacked an iPad app, and academic papers would sometimes crash the PDF viewer due to lack of RAM. A lot of things certainly can be done on the iPad, but in recent years I depend on my computer to get work done and primarily use the iPad and DTTG to view stuff, because every minute on the computer translates to two or three on the iPad after you factor in deficiencies, bugs, and extra hoops to jump through.

Even with the computer, I try to keep stuff simple. I probably wouldn’t have the patience to fiddle with any metadata. For papers, they just get a title (author yyyymmdd abbreviated title) and I keep all of the bibliographic data in a master bibliography (text file). I sometimes think I’ll go back to Bookends, but it’s more work for me than the text file. Sometimes there is a wiki link in the bibliography (one of the benefits of DT on a computer). I rarely read PDFs on the computer. I mainly rely on the iPad for that.

Theoretically, the iPad can do it all, and I know Apple promotes it that way. In reality, though, I’ve found it gets about 90 percent done in some fashion, but it punishes you mightily for that last ten percent.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your replies.

I was so used to the iPad, but now that I need real and complex software to take my professional activity to the next level, I realize I need a real computer.

I see I had the wrong point of view, and at last I decided to buy a MacBook Air, so that I have a real computer while on the go.

Thank you very much, and now I created a new thread for some tip about which model to buy… :wink:

4 Likes