Some questions about index files and other stuff

Hi guys,

First, reading the console.log I get this message: "DEVONthink 2.8.10, Mac OS X Version 10.11.4 (Build 15E65)

2016-04-01 10:49:28.833 DEVONthink[22921:63942] *** WARNING: Method userSpaceScaleFactor in class NSView is deprecated on 10.7 and later. It should not be used in new applications. Use convertRectToBacking: instead."

Second, the index files. a) are the index files encrypted? b) how are they encrypted? c) is it possible to move the location of the index files? I run my devonthink databases on encrypted sparse images and would like to have my indexes there as well.

Thank you.

That’s a harmless message caused by a third-party framework.

The Spotlight index isn’t encrypted and can’t be moved. The only possibility is to disable the Spotlight index (see File > Database Properties).

A DEVONthink datatbase’s internal indices are not plain text but the very diligent may be able to cull something out with a hex editor.

The indices are not portable, so no, you can’t move them to a location outside the database. However, why not stored the database itself on the encrypted sparse bundles? (I do this with my financials and accounts databases.)

Thank you for replies.

I do store the databases on sparse bundles. Is the index located inside the dtBase2-file?

Maybe I misunderstood something. I thought the index was located at user/library/application support/devonthink2

Thanks again for your swift replies.

The Global Inbox (“Inbox” database) is located there. Is that what you’re thinking of?

The Global Inbox (or anything in that location) is not on a sparse bundle.

The correct paths are…
~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink 2 :: This directory IS the Global Inbox (and only database) for DEVONthink Personal.

~/Library/Application Support/DEVONthink Pro 2 :: The Inbox.dtBase2 file is located here.
Other databases (.dtBase2 files) are located where you have located them. (And to repeat the warning once again: You should never put your databases in a Dropbox (or other cloud-synced) folder or you could irreparably damage them. The safest location is ~/Documents.)

Note: The Global Inbox should not be relocated. It is best to leave it alone where it is.

Ok, I think I understand. Thank you for your clarification.

No problem.