Some small UI issues with DT3 beta2

Hi everyone,

I just started testing DEVONthink 3.0 beta 2. First, I’d like to say thanks to the team! I’m really happy with the look and feel of the new UI. The right sidebar containing “See also” etc. is far nicer to work with than a floating window.

I did, however, find a few small issues that I don’t consider real bugs, so instead of reporting them individually, I’ll just list them here:

• I had customized both the label and highlight colours and names in DTPO2. These customizations did not carry over to DT3, which is a (tiny bit) annoying but easy to reconfigure.

• The symbol “Add or remove highlighting of selected text” in the editing bar of a formatted note has a down arrow, but does not work as a dropdown. In English, its tooltip text makes its function rather understandable, but in the German translation “Hervorhebung des ausgewählten Textes ändern”, I was really confused why I didn’t get the dropdown to work.

• The new “split view” for Markdown entry is great! However, the right pane with the rendered text only updates on saving for me – this should, ideally, update after every keystroke as it is done in other Markdown editors.

• When trying to configure access to the built-in server in the preferences, it is not possible to enter a password for a newly created user as long as there is no certificate specified. This makes sense, but the UI does not give a hint that this is a dependency. After creating a self-signed cert, I was able to enter the password without issues.

• When a search done in the server’s web interface yields an OCR’ed PDF as the (first or only) result, initially, it will be highlighted in the results listing. The preview pane below will then show “This document type cannot be displayed”. However, a double click on the document in the results listing (or navigating back to it any other way) will result in the document being displayed correctly.

And finally, a “wishlist item”: The speed of the dropdowns and tooltips in the server’s web UI feels really slow and “laggy” to me. I’d suggest speeding up the animations.

But nonetheless, thanks for this great new release!

Jürgen

Thanks we will look into the issue with the search results.

There is a deliberate delay before displaying tooltips, this is to emulate how they work in DT3 and also to ensure that they become cumbersome. I am not seeing any lag in opening menus, which browser and OS are you using?

A long click opens the menu, a short click applies the last used highlighting color.

Could you please post a screenshot of both tabs of Preferences > Server in this case? Thanks!

The final 3.0 release will import these settings after launching it for the first time.

Thanks a lot for that info! Regarding the screenshots, I’ll try to create them asap. I think I’ll need to delete DT’s self-signed certificate in order to re-create the initial situation. Do you know under what name it is stored in Keychain?

The TLS certification for DEVONthink 3 is called DEVONthink Server and is noted as a certificate. There is also an RSA key there, byt @cgrunenberg would have to advise if that would need to be removed as well.

I would recommend to delete both.

1 Like

OK, thanks. I can’t reproduce the issue right now, but will let you know as soon as I have something.