Something's Broken?

more hit and miss in my expericence, and now in DT2b2 it seems to be entirely broken.

In DT2b2, when I try to use either the “add web archive” or “add web document” script command all I get is a bookmark, not the web archive. Under DTb1 I was able to open the bookmark in DevonAgent and then use the “add to DT” menu command to add the web archive to DT. That doesn’t seem to work anymore. What gives?

The folks who publish Together seem to have successfully implemented what I want to do. You can simply drag the URL address from the web page into the shelf, the Group or into the open group window to preserve the web page for offline viewing. Why can’t Devontechnologies figure it out, or am I missing something?

Works here. Checked in Safari, DEVONagent and Firefox. The “Add web document to DEVONthink” always sends a WebArchive version of the viewed page to DEVONthink. DEVONagent’s Data > Add to DEVONthink > WebArchive always send a WebArchive of the viewed page to the frontmost open DEVONthink Pro/Office database.

What browser are you using? After installing pb2, select Help > Install Add-ons, in case you need to update scripts.

Actually, if you are using a Cocoa browser such as Safari, DEVONagent or the browser built into DEVONthink, there are a number of options available for capturing data from the Web in various formats, plain or rich text, PDF, HTML, WebArchive or URL bookmark. These include Services, contextual menus (in DEVONagent or the built-in browser), scripts and bookmarklets.

I almost never capture data as WebArchive, as I’m not interested in the layout of a Web page but only in specific information such as an article. The new Service to capture as WebArchive requires that the content of the page be selected, but allows one to select only a portion of the page – I like that. The keyboard shortcut Command-% then saves the selected material to a database as a WebArchive. Generally, though, I still capture selected content as a rich text note.

Hi Bill,

one question: captureing a selected part of a webpage with shortcuts functions for capture “new webpage”, “text” but not for “rtf” here.

What´s wrong with the rtf-shortcut?

I speak of pb2

AH, I updated the scripts from DT1 but not after DT2b1. I’ll give that a try.

I have updated everything to DT2b2. When I open a web page in Safari (latest version) and click on “add web archive to DT” command in the AppleScript menu, I get an HTML document, not a web archive, that shows no size (the column is blank) and nothing in the viewer window. The only way to view the document is to double click on the entry, which downloads the page anew in Safari. Something’s not right!

“Add WebArchive to DEVONthink” is an obsolete script. The script that should be used is “Add web document to DEVONthink”.

You can go to ~/Library/Scripts/ and delete the folders named Applications and DEVONthink Pro. Note: If you have installed custom scripts, don’t delete those.

Then in DEVONthink Pro 2, choose Help > Install Add-ons and confirm the installation.

Thanks very much, that seems to have solved the problem. Perhaps in future upgrades, the installer could delete obsolete files used in the prior version.

Ok. I also was confused about the same issue.

Is there any reason why, webarchives are called web documents now?

I still can’t get “add web document to DTP” script to work in firefox.(“No browser open in front” error)

Also, since pb2, whenever I use the bookmarklet to add an archive to DTP (via firefox) all I get is a url with a blank page. Reloading the url from within DTP doesn’t update the blank page.

Advice?

Adding the same page via drag and drop to the sorter works, but is much less convenient.

Any way to get web documents/archives working properly again in Firefox? *

*Especially since Yojimbo and EagleFiler have been able to do this for quite some time?

I have a similar experience with Firefox 3.0.0 and DT Pro Office pb2.

With pb1 I was able to create links and web archives using the bookmarklets I’d installed after following the instructions in this post: Webarchive bookmarklet and FireFox - won’t install- help? ( http://www.devon-technologies.com/scripts/userforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6607). Trying to use the same bookmarklet with dp2 produces this kind of error:

File Not Found
Firefox can’t find the file at x-devonthink://createWebArchive?title=DEVONtechnologies User Forum • View topic - Webarchive bookmarklet and FireFox - won’t install- help?&location=http://www.devon-technologies.com/scripts/userforum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6607.

I’ve deleted the old scripts and installed the new scripts but when I run the “Add web document to DEVONthink” script all I get is the following error message:

Firefox
No browser is open/in front.

I note that Bill writes: “Works here. Checked in Safari, DEVONagent and Firefox.” so I’m wondering what it is that I’m doing differently.

For those of us who don’t wish to use a WebKit browser (like Safari or OmniWeb) this is really frustrating. Any further suggestions to get Firefox and DT playing nicely together would be greatly appreciated.

I have another Services problem. I selected some text in Bookends and chose the Lookup… Service, to see whether I had that paper in DT. The Service wasn’t greyed out but nothing happened.

After reading this thread, I tried deleting the DT-related scripts in PDF Services and ~/Library/Scripts and then using the Help/Install Add-ons… menu command, and I watched the latter folder filling up with scripts, so something is working. On the other hand, I haven’t been able even to find the Lookup…Service using Spotlight, so I’m wondering where the stuff that isn’t working is tucked away.

Another question about Services. Is the ~/Library/Scripts/Applications folder reserved for DT’s use? In other words, if I have a Safari script unrelated to DT, should I put it in ~/Library/Scripts/Applications/Safari or ~/Library/Scripts/Safari ?

Woops! I forgot to logout and back in again. Things seem to be working now. Sorry for the false alarm.

My question about the ~/Library/Scripts/Applications still stands, though. And I’m wondering why Lookup… doesn’t show up in Spotlight? Presumably it’s an actual file in the Finder?

The other question that occurs is: Where are the add-ons before they’re installed by the Install Add-ons command?